Want to use a tablet to control all the controls in my car.

Hi all.

Sorry, I know I'm new here, and I've done a little searching on the forum, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

I've been restoring an 1964 Ford Falcon Ute, learning heaps as I've been doing, and trying to make it as high tech as possible. And my current plan is to have no physical controls, keys, air-con controls, light controls. I want to route it all through an android tablet.

I've figured out how to hook all the speed/fuel gauge/temp gauges into the first of two tablets (a nexus 7). But I was going to get a Nexus 10 and weld in a surround into the middle of the dash. It'll control all the radio/GPS easily enough, but the air-con and other buttons are trickier.

I wanted to get an bluetooth 8 channel relay board, and hook all the physical switches into it, http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=relay&product_id=371

Then create widgets that'll control all the devices either automatically with tasker, or with me controlling.

And cause I can, here's the car I'm talking about:
This is when I first got it (sort of)

Two years worth of work:

And the dash I plan on welding the tablets into:

So does anybody have any tips about getting it working, or reasons it won't? Or if the relay board it the right thing to use?

I'm on a few car forums, but I get very blank looks when I try and talk about this, and I wanted to hear some opinions before I start cutting and welding.

Your questions depend on how the controls in your truck are supposed to work. In my '87, the controls are split between mechanical linkages, cable linkages, and vacuum switches/actuators. A relay board by itself wouldn't be able to control any of those. If all of your controls are electric switches, then a relay board is a good starting point. Getting a wiring diagram would also be useful. Some functions, like the ignition system, require multiple things to happen at once.

I've seen this car on another forum, can you name a couple others? I can't remember where I saw it.

Also, you might check out MP3Car.com forums. There are a couple of people using tablets and interfacing them with their audio systems/etc.

Hope that is helpful.

Jay

The wiring/engine is from a later model car, a 89 model, so all the switches for the controls are simple on/off buttons. With the only exception being the temperature control, the existing control pulls a wire that open and shuts a shutter to swap between cold & hot. But I was toying with the idea of using an acuator like an automatic locking acuator, and setting the time it's on and off. Unless somebody has a better idea?

The ignition, I was planning on using an RFID Alarm to control the locks, and put it into on position, then it's one wire crossed to have ignition, which the relay can handle (hopefully).

For the other forums I post on, I'm on fordforums.com.au, ozrodders.com.au, mightycarmods.com.au

I might have to have a look at mp3car.com, I've never seen that forum before.

With the only exception being the temperature control, the existing control pulls a wire that open and shuts a shutter to swap between cold & hot. But I was toying with the idea of using an acuator like an automatic locking acuator, and setting the time it's on and off. Unless somebody has a better idea?

I haven't good experience about cars but i want to share some of things

Automation of windscreen wipers(by viewing weather), Automation of front light(by viewing Sunlight, Tyre Air Pressure Readings.

All of those things possible by using can bus and One important point watch this movie "Flash Of Genius"