'boards.txt' equivalent on mac?

Hi all,
I am trying to use an Arduino Pro Micro 5v/16mhz with the Arduino 1.0 software on mac. The chip I am using is from sparkfun.

The installation tutorial says I should choose the 'Arduino Leonardo board' option in the 'boards' list but
it is not listed.

The tutorial for pc installation says you can edit the boards.txt file to enable the leonardo option in the
list but I cannot find the mac equivalent of this file.

Anyone know where the mac equivalent of the 'boards.txt' file is kept? or is there an alternative compatible board I can pick. I have searched in all folders and cannot find anything apart from the
Arduino prefs file. This has no boards options.

When I plug in the board the mac recognises it as an 'Arduino Leonardo'. Arduino software is the latest version.

any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 Like

You can create your own 'boards.txt' file in the 'hardware' folder inside your sketch folder:

Documents/Arduino/hardware/boards.txt

Ok so, solved it. Thanks for your help John but that method did not work for me.

For anyone else who needs to know how to do this. Find the 'Arduino' application in Finder

Right click

select 'Show Package Contents'

navigate to Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/Arduino

The mac version of boards.txt is hidden deep in there. You can change or replace the boards.txt here.

To activate the 'Arduino Leonardo' board option you have to remove all the annotations (hashes - sorry can't find the key on bloody mac) from the start of every Leonardo line, then save.

This must be done with Arduino closed as I believe it will overwrite the file when you close it.

1 Like

Fnordcorps:
(hashes - sorry can't find the key on bloody mac)

Try Option-3.

Hi Fnordcorps

Good job !

As with all things MAC, when you find it, it just works. Updated "boards.txt" on my PC then just copied it to where you said & all worked well.

key on the mac - "alt" 3. - they have finally actually added it onto the key on new macs (my old air didn't have it on the key but my new pro does).

Thanks for saving me a load of time.

Ken

ressurrecting an ancient post, this is all i could find, and I have a bit different case. I'm using Sandeep Mistry's Arduino Core for the Nordic nRF52xxx boards and as it is a downloaded package through the boards manager, and it uses a different processor core, compiler, and debugger (fun times!) there's a bit more. After some digging I found the packages folder in the Library folder (open finder, click go, hold down option key and Library appears..) then in the Arduino15 folder you'll see packages and staging... staging is like the downloads from libraries and board managers, tools, etc, packages is the live stuff... dig through there and in my case I found the boards.txt and variants folders as well as the json definitions of the package itself. Pretty slick. I'm using Kris Winer's dev board and his board isn't part of Sandeep's package though I intend to submit it to him for inclusion. Hope this helps someone in the future.