Temperature Probe

Hello,

I just bought a temperature probe and I need some help. Does anybody know if it is a 5v or 3.3v sensor and which wire is positive and which wire do I attach into my analog port on the Arduino. Both of the wires are black, but one as a grey stripe on it.

Thanks,
Drew

One of the wires is perhaps shielded against electric noise.
But I don't know which one.

It is a NTC resistor of 10k at 25 degrees Celsius, maximum 105 degrees Celsius.

You have to find some examples how to connect it, and how to calculate the temperature.

I have looked all over for examples and I can't find any. I can calculate the temperature by using a thermometer and comparing what the probe values are vs the temperature, but I don't know how to connect the probe to the Arduino.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Drew

You can try this schematic.
The R5 resistor can be adjusted to get the voltage you want at the temperature you want.

Therm.jpg

Some add a capacitor to eliminate noise.

Simple example:
http://playground.arduino.cc//Main/Kty81-110

Extended library:
http://playground.arduino.cc//ComponentLib/Thermistor4

Wow! This is a lot more complicated then I thought.

LarryD: On your schematic what is "Arduino 0v" and "RT1"? (I'v never really used a schematic before)

Krodal: Where would I put the capacitor in LarryD's schematic?

Also I don't have an R5 resistor and I would like to get this working ASAP. Could I use a 10K Ohm resistor for now?

Thanks!!!

LarryD: On your schematic what is "Arduino 0v" and "RT1"? (I'v never really used a schematic before)

This is the GND pin, found on the Power header on your Arduino board
Put a .1uF capacitor Across the Thermistor (RT1, your temperature sensor)

Also I don't have an R5 resistor and I would like to get this working ASAP. Could I use a 10K Ohm resistor for now?

R5 is 10K

Thanks!!! I will try it out and post the results.

It works perfect! I did not need to use the capacitor.

Thanks for all the help!!!

The capacitor is used to protect the analog input from transient noisy problems.
This may result from long cables in a electrical noisy environment.
If you are just doing a test you don't need the capacitor.

Thanks! I will put a capacitor in when I put the probe into my project.