Arduino to power LED kit??

Hey I have and under dash LED kit that I have had in my car and I want to get the Arduino to power it so that when they turn on they flicker. I have an ARDX starter kit and the code should be ok since I have it powering a single LED. When I tried taking it to my car and putting the positive and negative ends from the LED kit into the arduino in place of the single led, they wouldnt power on. I have almost no knowledge of electronics so can anyone help with my project? Thanks!

Hi Shadow,

That's a pretty big bite for a first project with no experience... You might try some simpler circuits at your kitchen table with transistors and LEDs first.

What's your proficiency re the Arduino?

Pat.

I took a college class last year with the arduino, hated it though haha. It was supposed to be an intro type class but the assignments were way to difficult

Might the LED kit be requiring 12V? Its for a car after all. That implies you need to look into switching a 12V load
(see the Arduino playground for examples).

That does make a lot of sense. I looked into it a bit but it looks like I would have to use an ATX power supply. Dont really want a giant power supply sitting in my car though might not be able to do it afterall. Thanks for the advice though.

Shadow228:
That does make a lot of sense. I looked into it a bit but it looks like I would have to use an ATX power supply. Dont really want a giant power supply sitting in my car though might not be able to do it afterall. Thanks for the advice though.

You won't need it in your car, the car already has 12V. You'll need it for designing the device at home.

hmm... this stuffs beyond me haha.