Just Another 3x3x3 Led Cube

Just Another 3x3x3 Led Cube or call it JA3x3x3LC if you want.

But yes, for sure you are tired of this 3x3x3 Led Cubes, but... this is what I have in the Menu.

It's my first project with Arduino and I want to share it with you.

Thumbs up. Yes, I have seen several 3-cube, 5-cube and one nice 11-cube done by friends. And each is an accomplishment by its creator. It should not stop us "mere mortals" from doing something simpler for our enjoyment! (I am thinking of doing a 1x1x1 LED cube 8))

Care to mention (not the whole code/diagram) what technique you used to control the LEDs - straight from each pin or some driver chip? On/Off or level control? Store the patterns on chip or calculate on the fly or feed from the USB (or other source)? You mention "Menu" - is there a LCD interface or ...?

I used common anode (positive) for each floor and common cathode (negative) for the 9 columns.

The animation (the 1st two of them) uses Multiplexing, the rest of the animations just runs thru the floors one at a time.

I control the cube with 4 Shift Registers (No needed really for a 3x3x3 cube as Arduino can easily handle it) but the idea is to learn how to use them, just in case I make the jump to a 5x5x5 cube hopefully RGB.

I'm going to add more info in a blog I'm making, you can get some extra info, plus a PDF as a "Guide" to make one of this.

http://arduino.alt245.com.ar/3x3x3-led-cube/

It's not perfect, but it works, I have a lot more to learn and to improve. But it's a starting point.

Hi I just downloaded the PDF for your cube and was wondering if the shift registers are 74HC959 as stated or if they are in fact 74HC595's. It's just that I cannot find any real references to 959 's online. Is there any chance of you sharing your code as I cannot find if on your website. Nice cube and thanks for the PDF
Pedro.

Pedro147:
Hi I just downloaded the PDF for your cube and was wondering if the shift registers are 74HC959 as stated or if they are in fact 74HC595's. It's just that I cannot find any real references to 959 's online. Is there any chance of you sharing your code as I cannot find if on your website. Nice cube and thanks for the PDF
Pedro.

Yes they are 74HC595

I thought I had corrected that error :stuck_out_tongue: Going to replace the file now, but yes, you are right, they are 74HC595

Thanks, but any chance of a look at the code you did to drive the 595's ? 8)

Yes Pedro, I uploaded it to the website. It isn't the best code as I said there, but it works, and it's the first steps.

At least till I build the PCB for mounting everything and set working on the code again to make it better.

Thanks for that. I might build one of your cubes shortly and I'll let you know how I go with it, Pedro.

http://arduino.alt245.com.ar/3x3x3-led-cube/

this link is DEAD, also I don't see any PDF to download, can someone help me with 3x3x3 details.

Try this one.
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/JamecoBuilds/4x4x4ledcube.html
Use 9 outputs to drive the columns.
Use one output to drive a transistor per layer to sink current to turn that layer on.

ghpk - I have uploaded American 2020's cube code here and I think that I have the PDF at home. If you want it, let me know and I'll put it up somewhere for you. The code is not completely in English. Here is one that looks OK My only advice would be to use one that uses transistors to drive the levels rather than just relying on the digital pins for all column and level control
Pedro

CrossRoads:
Try this one.
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/JamecoBuilds/4x4x4ledcube.html
Use 9 outputs to drive the columns.
Use one output to drive a transistor per layer to sink current to turn that layer on.

Having a read through that article, it has as certain few paragraphs I feel unsure about:

For obvious reasons, it is vital to have functioning LEDs. I found out the hard way that it's much easier to test the individual LEDs before you solder them together. Sticking an iron to desolder a damaged LED in the middle of your cube is as tough as it sounds. Take the time to test them.

You can hook the LEDs up to a 3 volt power supply and briefly powering on, use an LED Tester, or simply use a coin cell battery. Hold the coin cell between the legs of the LED and then squeeze the legs. You don't need a resistor since the coin cell runs at 3V and you are only touching it for couple seconds.

Is this sound advice, or would it always be best to use a resistor. Wouldn't the resistor help prevent damage if you connect the LED backwards while testing?

Wouldn't the resistor help prevent damage if you connect the LED backwards while testing

No. Resistors allow current to flow in both directions.

pYro_65:
Wouldn't the resistor help prevent damage if you connect the LED backwards while testing?

Technically you should always use an appropriate resistor when powering LED's. As for connecting the LED backwards, this will not damage the LED it just won't light it 8)