Line numbers

How do I get the line numbers to show up in a sketch? It would be really be helpful in debugging. Also, when starting a new topic, how do I cut and paste the errors. Currently, after highlighting, a right click does nothing.
Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I was recently in search of line numbers, as well, but it doesn't appear to be a feature of the IDE.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=46947.0

You could always try to prod the developers along with a comment on one of those feature requests.

Your line number is there in the bottom left corner of the Arduino IDE screen

You may want to have a look at the free NotePad++ program (it has line #s and much much much more) use it for writing your sketches. Also has a nice Conversion panel to aid in programming. Saves in Rich Text format etc.
You can set the Arduino IDE to use an external editor in Preferences.
When you compile the sketch it reloads the file that you are editing in NotePad++ (of course save the sketch prior to compiling).

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

EDIT: This will make NotePad++ more comfortable with Arduino sketches.
Follow the steps in Post #1 Notepad++ User Defined Language for Arduino - Libraries - Arduino Forum

Highlight, control-c (to copy), control-v (to paste), control-x (to delete).

Mark

Line numbers have been asked for a gazillion times, it will never happen.

Notepad++ is one of the best editors around, also you could start using Atmel Studio or maybe the Uecide IDE, that seems to be coming along nicely.

Rob

Thanks to all. I never notices those little numbers in the lower left corner before. They're pretty subtle. I'll check out notepad. Also, I forgot about using control c to copy.
Thanks again.

Graynomad:
Line numbers have been asked for a gazillion times, it will never happen.

Notepad++ is one of the best editors around, also you could start using Atmel Studio or maybe the Uecide IDE, that seems to be coming along nicely.

Rob

Why, it will never happen ?
It's something that seems not to be so hard and surely would be very helpful.
And if that is so asked, why not do that?

I say that because it's been asked a 1000 times and so far has not happened and I'm extrapolating into the future :slight_smile:

It's something that seems not to be so hard and surely would be very helpful.

Correct on the second point and I assume also the first although I don't know how the IDE has been coded.

It's a very useful feature but either there's nobody that can/will do it or people are happy with a single number at the bottom.

Maybe those that care use a decent editor anyway and don't push for change, like me.

I don't know but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Rob

Hi Folks,

I am using 1.5.1r2 and was also wondering about IDE line numbers, but I found that I could not see the line number reference in the bottom LHS status line (mentioned above) until I had done a "restore down" on the IDE and re-juggled the IDE's window bits'n'bobs with a "maximise" and then the status line came into view. I may have been using a "window reference" from an IDE long ago that did not show this extra bit. Try it, that is all it may require.

Anyway, I am happy (for the moment :slight_smile: )

Rob

Anyway, I am happy (for the moment smiley )

Then you are easily pleased :slight_smile:

Rob

There is no line numbers because the Arduino IDE is actually "IDE Processing" and there is no line numbers in Processing.
If the Arduino team has not added line numbers it is because they do not know how to make it.
To have line numbers you have to ask the Processing team.

Don't foget the chain : Processing -> Wiring project -> Arduino project = fork of Wiring project

The only solution is to use an external editor or uecide or eclipse or code::blocks.
The uecide author has rewrite the editor and some other features like the serial-monitor.