Atlas scientific ph/orp stamp RS232

This is very strange, I have never seen somehting like this

please help if you could

I get a response back from the ph stamp, i do get the ph but one of the characters is weird. looks like this

7.x4 (where is the x comming from?!?!?)

also when i unplug the ph probe, one would expect a reply from the stamp saying no probe

this is what i get

chÅck pòobÅ and sometimes cheÃk ðroÂe

here is my code

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>               //this will let the software take advantage of the "newsoftserial" library.                    

NewSoftSerial mySerial =  NewSoftSerial(7, 8); 

char stamp_data[15];          
//this is where the data from the stamp is stored. The array is 15 char long because
//if no pH probe is connected, the message "check probe" is transmitted.
 //Having an array that is too small will cause data corruption and could cause the Arduino to crash. 
byte holding;                       
//used to tell us the number of bytes that have been received by the Arduino and are
//holding in the buffer holding
byte i;                  

void setup()

{
  mySerial.begin(38400);   
  Serial.begin(57600);  
delay(1000);
  mySerial.print("l0");           //the command "c" will tell the stamp to take continues readings
  mySerial.print(13,BYTE);       //ALWAYS end a command with <CR> (which is simply the number 13) or//(print("/r")
delay(1000);
  mySerial.print("r");           //the command "c" will tell the stamp to take continues readings
  mySerial.print(13,BYTE);       //ALWAYS end a command with <CR> (which is simply the number 13) or//(print("/r")

}

void loop() {                                       //main loop

if(mySerial.available() > 0) {        //if we see the more than three bytes have been received by the Arduino

holding=mySerial.available();      //lets read how many bytes have been received
    for(i=1; i <= holding;i++){       //we make a loop that will read each byte we received
        stamp_data[i]= mySerial.read();     //and load that byte into the stamp_data array
    }

for(i=1; i <= holding;i++){                      //we now loop through the array        
    Serial.print(stamp_data[i]);             //printing each byte we received  through the hardware UART
       }

Serial.println("");                               //once we finished, we print a null char with the <CR><LF> command.
    mySerial.flush();  
    }
}

also using different code as well i get weird looking characters

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>               //this will let the software take advantage of the "newsoftserial" library.                    

NewSoftSerial mySerial =  NewSoftSerial(7, 8); 

void setup()
{
  mySerial.begin(38400);   
  Serial.begin(57600);  

}

void loop()
{
 char inData_pH[24];
 int index =0;
 float pH_val = 0.0;
  mySerial.print("c");           //the command "c" will tell the stamp to take continues readings

delay(1000);
 while (mySerial.available() > 0 && index < 5)
   {
     inData_pH[index] = mySerial.read();
     index++;
     inData_pH[index] = '\0';
   }

Serial.print("Sensor output: [");
   Serial.print(inData_pH);  Serial.println("]");
  // pH_val = atof(inData_pH);
  // Serial.println(pH_val);

}