making optical fibers/EL wires sturdy?

eBay seem to do 1.3mm EL wire.
It normally has a solid core wire so should bend to shape (without heat) and stay but there is a limit to length/size before it cannot support it's own weight. EL wire/sheet glows when connected to a suitable power source and does not need a light shining down the end.

Using acrylic wire I would expect a gentle heating at the bend point, bending and cooling would get it to take on and hold the shape you need. I don't know how you would seamlessly (and invisibly) joint them together though.

I didn't understand what this suggestion was for.

Because a normal fibre optic cable does/should not leak much light through it's walls if you rough the walls with sandpaper they are more likely to leak light through them maybe giving them more of a glow. The fibre cable would need to be the type that bounces light off the inner walls instead of the type that uses different fibre properties though it's cross section to keep the light in the centre of the core.
The reason for suggesting this is our old xmas tree with fibre optic cables in had the ends roughed up for the last few centimetres so you could see the light (see attached image)

Clipboard-1.jpg