Web notification services

I am still working on making my notification system bigger, and now looking for ways to communicate with more programs and devices.

So far my site can send messages to

• Prowl (to iPhone)
  • Notifo (to Android and iPhone)
  • Notify.io (to Growl on Mac and Windows)
  • Email

And it is all done by calling a simple url, and done that way so it easily can be used with an arduino with access to the internet.

But are you using any other notification service that could be interesting to have in it too?

The system itself is very easy to use (well, it always is for the creator of a thing ;)), because all you do is to log in, and create notification profiles.
You can have multiple profiles, and you only fill out the fields you want to get notification from. So if you create a profile called ex "Desktop" and only fill in the notify.io MD5 from their site, and then create a notification and select that profile, it will send a message to the address that matches the MD5 on the notify.io site.

For each notice you can select multiple profiles. Like that you can create a profile for each option you got for receiving a message, but in the notifications you individually decide which sends to what.

Pictures of it will come soon, but I am reworking the entire section where you create notifications to make it easier. :slight_smile:

And hopefully the site will launch within a week. And it will of curse be free to use. :slight_smile: And hopefully you will be ready to take communication with your arduino projects to the next level :slight_smile:

Future ideas is to also be able to send a message back to the system again, and that way also send messages directly from your phone (notify only) back to your arduino.
Burglar alarm anyone? Get a message about it has started, then send a message back to tell the arduino to close the motorized gate... :wink:

Twitter?

CowJam:
Twitter?

Yeah, I am looking at that too... but the new oauth is making it difficult, because I have to learn how that works too. But in the future, it will have that too. :slight_smile:

Update
Or actually... Just got it working! Managed to authorize with my twitter account, and also send a status update back to it afterwards! :slight_smile:

Only need to implement everything then, and figure out how to actually make it work as the rest does...

Text?

biocow:
Text?

huh?

I presume he means SMS.

CowJam:
I presume he means SMS.

hmm yes... But thats actually why I started making this system... Sending sms isn't free, all the current options I got in is. :slight_smile:

The push messages for both iPhone and android behaves like SMS, but is free. :slight_smile:

But maybe I could make it so you can put URL's in for such services, so it will forward the stuff to an sms provider too. I just won't put it directly in. And the reason for that is two things. Number one is that it costs money, and number two is that you need one for the country you want to send to, unless you want to pay even more for the message because of sending from one country to another.

Not free but cheap. In the UK you can pay about £10 for a SIM with unlimited texts, bung that in a GPRS shield and you've got nearly free messaging. Of course, that's only good if it's just for yourself, "unlimited" means "within reason".

bld:

CowJam:
I presume he means SMS.

hmm yes... But thats actually why I started making this system... Sending sms isn't free, all the current options I got in is. :slight_smile:

Yea, but it doesn't hurt to have the option, for some people additional texts (other than what they send normally) are free

Of course, that's only good if it's just for yourself, "unlimited" means "within reason".

Yea, I remember the year I learned unlimited wasn't unlimited... :frowning:

CowJam:
Not free but cheap. In the UK you can pay about £10 for a SIM with unlimited texts, bung that in a GPRS shield and you've got nearly free messaging. Of course, that's only good if it's just for yourself, "unlimited" means "within reason".

Ah yes, you can get such sim cards here too, but there will again be the problem with the cross country, because those SMS messages aren't free because the operators in the other countries charge for it, and I am not going to pay for that. :wink:

Valalvax:
Yea, but it doesn't hurt to have the option, for some people additional texts (other than what they send normally) are free

I can make an extra field for "Custom services" where it is possible to put a URL in so it can use the API where you got the sms sender.

I got like 100 sms'es left on such a system, and all I need is a link looking like http://url/api/?key=xxxxxxx&number=xxxxxxxx&message=blablablabla and it will then send a message to that number, with that message in. So people will have that option that way around then. :slight_smile:

bld:

CowJam:

Ah yes, you can get such sim cards here too, but there will again be the problem with the cross country, because those SMS messages aren't free because the operators in the other countries charge for it, and I am not going to pay for that. :wink:

I see your point now...

CowJam:

Valalvax:

I can make an extra field for "Custom services" where it is possible to put a URL in so it can use the API where you got the sms sender.

I got like 100 sms'es left on such a system, and all I need is a link looking like http://url/api/?key=xxxxxxx&number=xxxxxxxx&message=blablablabla and it will then send a message to that number, with that message in. So people will have that option that way around then. :slight_smile:

And some pictures... These aren't 100% how the end result will be, because I am still working on the twitter function, and for the custom URL too.

Valalvax:
Yea, I remember the year I learned unlimited wasn't unlimited... :frowning:

Wow, Good effort! I used to send about 1200 a month without problem.

I thought of using Prowl for my system, but am currently using a PHP page that sends an email.
How do you like Prowl and is it easy to implement?

Pauly:
I thought of using Prowl for my system, but am currently using a PHP page that sends an email.
How do you like Prowl and is it easy to implement?

I changed to notifo instead, the reason for that is that it supports urls too, but the latest update of prowl does that too now.

And they are both pretty easy to use, if you know some php.

Thanks for the tip.
I know more PHP than I thought and have implemented Notifo as well.
Wasn't too hard for a PHP novice like me.
:slight_smile: