LiPo PyRo - the power of electrons

I thought people might be interested in seeing this cute little balancing robot.
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/nbot/

What do you wanna bet, he didn't have a fire extinquisher handy.
(note - this is electronics, not bar sport).

Was was the point of failure? Did they say?

Sad in any case -- (was) a nice robot.

This is why we always caution the people coming on here wanting to throw LiPo and Li-Ion batteries in their project. If you don't know what you're doing (and sometimes, even if you do!), the failure mode can be spectacular.

Fire extinguisher is worse than useless on a metal fire, you need dry sand.

tylernt:
This is why we always caution the people coming on here wanting to throw LiPo and Li-Ion batteries in their project. If you don't know what you're doing (and sometimes, even if you do!), the failure mode can be spectacular.

dpa [the builder] is one of the most experienced people around the robotics field. Has built several truly "classic" robots. In regards cause of fire, my friend said this

Talking of hobby robots dpa posted on SRS about the disastrous fire, which consumed nBot, caused by a short in the LiPo battery. So he rebuilt it (5 months I think) and now uses NiMh.

Original: Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

Of course, it took them a while to figure out what actually failed with the Boeing 787 batteries.