need help to compile the bootloader

Hi all. I've modified the original source of the mega2560 in order to do some jobs before the sketch starts....the question is: how to compile it under Windows 7x64? I've absolutely no idea on how to do this. Any suggestions?

If you have more specific questions after a quick search, there's lots of people that would be happy to help.

Why not leave the bootloader alone and put your bits where they belong in setup(). The name setup() is a hint as to its function and use.

OMG - I'm starting to sound like PaulS :astonished:!

Mark

I agree that there is nothing to gain by putting user setup code into the bootloader space. The proper place for such functions is in the setup function of the sketch. But perhaps you could explain why you think it would be best to go with your idea?

Lefty

OMG - I'm starting to sound like PaulS !

1. But it will not make you like PaulS

holmes4 says
Why not leave the bootloader alone and put your bits where they belong in setup(). The name setup() is a hint as to its function and use.

Lefty says
I agree that there is nothing to gain by putting user setup code into the bootloader space. The proper place for such functions is in the setup function of the sketch. But perhaps you could explain why you think it would be best to go with your idea?

but in case of watchdog timer?

Cybernetician:
but in case of watchdog timer?

Depends on the usage, but if the bootloader were an obstacle, I might think it better to simply eliminate the bootloader.

Or find a copy of mega bootloader that has the WDT problem fixed. Sorry I can't locate it for you but it has been available for over a year now somewhere.

Lefty

Jack Christensen says
Depends on the usage, but if the bootloader were an obstacle, I might think it better to simply eliminate the bootloader.

Can you guide me how to eliminate in case of Zigduino board.

Lefty says
Or find a copy of mega bootloader that has the WDT problem fixed. Sorry I can't locate it for you but it has been available for over a year now somewhere.

May be it cannot support Zigduino board.

Maybe. Maybe not.

This is the first time Zigduino is mentioned in this thread. Perhaps describe the whole requirement in the first post?

Link to this board?

This bootloader seems to fix the WDT problems:

https://raw.github.com/arduino/Arduino-stk500v2-bootloader/master/goodHexFiles/stk500boot_v2_mega2560.hex

The bootloader is supposed to load a sketch, not do initial processing for it.