USB+XBEE SHIELD

Hello everyone, this is my question;

is it possible to use USB and XBEE shield at the same time in arduino UNO?

I wish to read some data in the USB port and then, transmit this data via XBEE shield

thanks!

Hello

The easiest way to do this is to use the "Software Serial Library". http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial
With this library you can use other pins than 0 and 1 for serial communication. You could use the standard 0 and 1 pins for the communication with the computer and pin 2, 3 (just an example) for the Xbees TX and RX lines. The only problem you have is your shield, maybe you can't change the Xbees RX and TX pins. If you use the sparkfun Xbee shield you can simply switch the little switch to "DLine" and the RX and TX lines are on pin 2 and 3. If you use other shields like the original Arduino one, you may have to modify it a little bit.

Well, my shield is the arduino shield so it hasn't that jumpers, and sparkfun xbeeshield is no longer stocked.
i think i will try to communicate by other way.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Well, my shield is the arduino shield so it hasn't that jumpers

A link is worth more than 1000 words.

http://arduino.cc/es/Guide/ArduinoXbeeShield
with that shield is not possible to send data from the computer via usb and then to the xbee module.

is a much better shield.

Do you want to send the data directly from your PC to the Xbee (and vice versa), without the need to interact with the microcontroller?

no, i need to interact with the microcontroller.
I think I have two choices;

1. Buy the sparkfun xbee shield SparkFun XBee Shield - WRL-12847 - SparkFun Electronics
  2. Use the RS232 from the computer with MAX2322 to connect with arduino via UART

if someone have other idea, please tell me!

I am grateful for you help, thank you all

1. Build the Xbee circuitry on a breadboard
  2. Use a USB to UART bridge such as an FTDI BreakoutBoard ( would have the same function as the MAX2322 Serial chip, but with USB)
  3. Use a second Arduino
  4. Modify your shield (with pliers and solder Iron)