Which software to interface to computer

Howdy I am new to arduino. I have written my first sketch to read the analog 0 port and turn on several LED’s. I would like to know which programming software is the easiest way to send the info to the computer to print on the screen ( VB-6, C++,VB-2010. Etc.). Right now all I want to do, is print the values from analog in. I have Visual basic-6
Thanks for any help

arduino sends its data through a serial port, so anything that can read a serial port is a good choice. I am partial to C# but any of the visual products will have pretty much the same features. Theres also processing which is java based if you dont want to bother compiling or nailing your application to windows only stuff, but if your just wanting to print values from the arduino, use its biult in serial monitor or an external terminal program like hyperterm or putty.

A lot of people use Processing http://processing.org/ it is free and multiplatform it uses Java and has a vast array of user contributed libraries. People do cool things with it.

In .Net is very easy, just

SerialPort.Open(

Not sure about VB6 but I remember there was a "draggable" serial port object in the toolbox (but you need to add it)

VB6 is about 120 years old :slight_smile: use vb.net (or c#) express. Its much better for serial port stuff, and modern as well :slight_smile:

that is true you can get the 2010 express editions off of microsoft's website for free as long as its not for commercial use, and VB.net is right there with them (if you wanted to stick with VB)

truck56:
Right now all I want to do, is print the values from analog in. I have Visual basic-6

Have you tried using the serial port monitor within the Arduino IDE? If it's connected to the correct port and set to the right speed, anything the Arduino prints out on the Serial port will display here.

Yes I have tried serial monitor. I just want to get fancy windows.LOL
Thanks for the replies. Think I will try VB-2010 it's free.

truck56:
Think I will try VB-2010 it's free.

There are free versions all the visual studio variants so you have a choice of C#, C++, 'C', VB, silverlight, Java etc. It might help to bear in mind that your sketch is written in a language that is essentially C++.

truck56:
Howdy I am new to arduino. I have written my first sketch to read the analog 0 port and turn on several LED’s. I would like to know which programming software is the easiest way to send the info to the computer to print on the screen ( VB-6, C++,VB-2010. Etc.). Right now all I want to do, is print the values from analog in. I have Visual basic-6
Thanks for any help

Any language you choose that is "server side" is the correct decision, so if you are more of a Java guy or PHP programmer you can use either one to send and receive packets from or to the Arduino.

How it works:
The Arduino PCB(Printed Circuit Board) has a little chip on it called a TFID IC (Integrated Circuit) that makes your computer see the USB as a COM port. The COM port is generally found on older machines, the large COM ports have 25 pins and are known as DB25 ports.
When you use a GUI (Graphical User Interface) the program sends Packets of Data to the USB port, the Arduino listens for the packet and does so at extremely high speeds thanks to the Crystal, once the information is received by the Arduino AVR sketch takes over, if you want to receive data the GUI you wrote using the language of choice does whatever you have asked of it once receiving the data packet.

So it is entirely up to you, the real question here is what information are you trying to send to the computer? What are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers,
Rob
http://whatisacnc.com

The Arduino PCB(Printed Circuit Board) has a little chip on it called a TFID

Well, the letters are all there, just in the wrong order.

Yeah But close counts only with horseshoes and... handgrenades...

Bob

AWOL:

The Arduino PCB(Printed Circuit Board) has a little chip on it called a TFID

Well, the letters are all there, just in the wrong order.

What are you saying?
the PCB is the board made from fiberglass and copper, it contains the IC (Integrated Circuit). In this case the IC is the TFID.
So how are my letters in the wrong order my friend.
I don't mind being wrong and respect your criticism, can you explain how what I stated is incorrect?

Thanks for all your help.

FTDI (future technology devices international) makes USB to rs232 bridges among other things, and was used on the arduino's up till the UNO, after that its a ATMEGA somewhat similar to the main processor on the arduino, programed to behave the same way (microchip also makes one thats a programmed PIC, though its a bit junky)

Still don't know what I said wrong.....

the PCB is the board made from fiberglass and copper, it contains the IC (Integrated Circuit). In this case the IC is the TFID.

the pcb has more than 1 IC, neither are TFID

Osgeld:

the pcb has more than 1 IC, neither are TFID

Actually the one directly in front of the USB port is a TFID IC, the other IC is the AVR.

Actually the one directly in front of the USB port is a TFID IC

No, it isn't. It's an FTDI chip. From future technology devices international. Hence the name.

Actually

no, and its not on all arduinos, some had a FTDI chip, most dont

not to nitpick but you are on a technically oriented forum, and as long as you insist that your imaginary thing is correct you are going to have a hard time when you encounter a real problem and your calling it something totally different than whatever it may be really is.