Transistor issue

dc42:
Mine too, if I was making a PCB for it and could use a mosfet in an SMD package, for example http://uk.farnell.com/diodes-inc/zxmn2f30fhta/mosfet-n-sot-23/dp/1583664RL. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any medium-current mosfets available in non-SMD packages. It surely wouldn't be difficult to make a 1A or even 2A mosfet in a TO92 package, but all that seems to be available is the 2N7000, which has a continuous drain current limit of only 200mA. Mosfets in TO220 packages are a lot more expensive and physically too large in some applications.

It seems the manufacturers do not take much notice of the amateur/hobbyist market anymore. Well, not that they ever used to, but at least back 20 years ago there were a lot more through-hole parts available. That being said, the sexier new parts just were not around then. I guess it's was hard to miss what didn't exist.

I have used the IRLU3410 quite a bit. Sure, it's over-kill for 90% of what I use it for, but is a decent MOSFET at a decent price (about $0.75) and is much more compact than a TO220.