Students caught out....

An educational system that teaches useful engineering skills?

Hi, wellll yes, the secondary schools, year 7 to 12 do have some sort of electronics content, depends on staffing and money, I'm afraid.
Also the commitment of teaching staff, and their skill level.

To let you know how bad some of our education system is;
About 10 years ago, my then employer was keen to advance the skill levels of their employees.
So I was offered the chance to go back to Uni and do my Degree in Electronics, my Diploma and previous employment allowed me to skip Year One of a Three Year Course, (bit suspect... Three year for Degree, was four years , twenty years previous.)
I turn up for first day of year two degree and goto a subject called Electronics. Now expecting it to be an advanced electronics subject I was surprised when the lecturer, who I know, said to me, "Don't worry about notes, you don't need to take this subject, I'll give you exemption after the class."
I then sat through a Second Year , Engineering Degree subject that began by teaching "OHMS LAW".
I was flabbergasted, this is basic stuff that should have been covered in First Year to bring everybody up to speed.
The lecturer who was very disillusioned about the curriculum for the engineering course, said that that is the way it has to be done due to the dumb students that get into these courses.
The course I gather no longer exists at the local Uni.
Unfortunately due to family health problems I couldn't finish the Degree.

Tom....... :slight_smile: