New interface design (with pictures!)

Hey guys,

I just opened a ticked over the Arduino GitHub repo with a new proposed interface design:

All of my reasoning and rationale is in the ticket. I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone and everyone!

Thanks,
Rob

Looks good.
Line #s would be great!!!
Your draw and search option would also be nice additions.

Looks great.
I think Arduino would really benefit from a nice IDE.
Something like you have shown above, or like CodeVisionAVR.

Arduino currently has quite strange behaviour - eg. opening a project opens a new window etc. - opening in tabs is much neater, and the project file tree on the left would allow you to view include files and headers etc.

Gets my vote!

Why clutter up the screen with sidebars?
I like it simple, not some microsoft clowning up.

Tabs are used to split a program up into workable chunks.
If I want two programs open, to use 2 serial interfaces for example, then I open 2 copies of the IDE.

CrossRoads:
Tabs are used to split a program up into workable chunks.
If I want two programs open, to use 2 serial interfaces for example, then I open 2 copies of the IDE.

Agree. A project (sketch) can have many tabs (files).

Not sure if this is in an area you can or intend to address, but it would be great if instead of

Binary sketch size: 16,814 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

we could have SRAM utilization as well as flash utilization, e.g. output from avr-size:

AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega328p

Program:   16814 bytes (51.3% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:        694 bytes (33.9% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

This is how it is implemented in version 1.5.4:

Sketch uses 5,132 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 153 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,407 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.

I agree multitabs just make it more complicated when viewing multiple sketches.
Having the ability to save some steps by having memory usage in the ide would be quite helpful.
Line numbering is top of the list, its one extra chore, cut out :smiley:

Maybe a beginner, intermediate, professional mode.
Beginner being a basic form, intermediate a few extra & pro, a complete ide.

A way to switch between modes as one becomes more affluent?

Can leaving OUT or OFF line numbers be a selectable mode? Once you have some practice programming, the line numbers are not needed. I write stuff up all the time, with just minimal compile fail issues, and certainly none where line numbers were needed to fix them. They certainly don't help with comipling that passes, but where the logic is just messed up.

beautiful !!

i prefer the grey and 3d like buttons. the blue and white ones are a little bit old (i think).
the problem of this IDE's design : it's too square ! make it rounded.

the line numbers are so useful, mainly for debugging !
and the close button for the tabs is nice.