Any experience with OV7670

Has anyone successfully interfaced an Arduino with an OV7670 or any of it siblings (OV7725, OV9650, OV2640, OV3640, OV5642). It is my understanding that the interface is the same for all of them.

I am interested in using the Arduino to grab periodic frames (every second, minute, or hour) and saving them to an SD card.

My hope is that I can use a cheap camera and SD card interface to do it all.

OV7670.jpg

Got links to any specs?

That SD card appears to have its own 3.3V regulator, which is good, but then use resistor voltage dividers for the control & data lines, which could be problematic with newer, higher speed SD cards.

How did you interface the Camera to the Arduino?

I have not seen that camera before, hence the request to a link for its spec.

Hello,

i know this thread is old, but there were no satisfying reply and I'm in the same situation.

I got an Arduino mega2560 and a OV7670 camera module.

I hooked it up correctly (at least I think I did) for I2C communication.

Despite many trials, I can't successfully read the camera registers. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but here are some hunches:

• The integrated pull up of the arduino pull the I2C lines to 5V when the camera works with 3.3V. So maybe I burnt it?
  • The address of the device is 42/43 according to the datasheet. It doesn't say if it's hex or not, although i've tried both. I've also tried without the MSB because the wire.h lib uses only 7bit address
  • My code sequence is bad. I couldn't find any example with this module and an arduino on google

Has anyone succeeded in using one of these modules?

Thank you

up?

Still waiting for a link.

Ha sorry, here it is:
http://www.cutedigi.com/pub/sensor/Imaging/OV7670-Datasheet.pdf

Hi. I bought same hardware and want to do same things (grab frames and save it to sd card). Anybody did it? Can't find information in web. Please help

Somebody can help? Plz

The data sheet says the device has a minimum clock speed of 10MHz.
It isn't a device I'd choose to interface to a slow processor with limited memory.

Hi RandallR,
This is exactly what you are needed.

They have tutorial here:

The firmware source code is here:
http://www.arducam.com/download/

This may be a solution. I will look at it some more.

However, it seems to be over-kill. The interface board costs more than the Arduino and camera combined. I was hoping to keep the cost much lower.

It may be that a solution does not exist with an Arduino and OV7670. The solution may be with a Raspberry Pi and a cheap web-cam. The Raspberry Pi costs about twice as much as an Arduino but has a lot of memory and power. The nice thing about the Arduino is that once you have a solution working with, say an Uno, you can move the design to a bare ATMega chip very easily. And the bare chips are only a couple dollars each.

Hi I'd like to get the 5MP OV5642 just grab an image and FTP it. I took a look at the Arducam code for the OV5642 but it seems they only get a 320x240 image and I'm not sure where to set it to go to 5MP. Also in Arducam it requires the shield and LCD to grab the image. Is there documentation on how and where to connect the cam directly to the Arduino? I don't need video just the image, time is not an issue for me either, if it takes 10 seconds to send it, I don't mind.

tsuriyathep:
Hi I'd like to get the 5MP OV5642 just grab an image and FTP it. I took a look at the Arducam code for the OV5642 but it seems they only get a 320x240 image and I'm not sure where to set it to go to 5MP. Also in Arducam it requires the shield and LCD to grab the image. Is there documentation on how and where to connect the cam directly to the Arduino? I don't need video just the image, time is not an issue for me either, if it takes 10 seconds to send it, I don't mind.

I have also been looking at this camera and the general idea I got was you need some form of external memory to buffer the camera image into as the data needs to be read quite quickly. Then the arduino can read and process this data at leisure as the arduino does not have the memory to store the image and process it quick enough. As your using a higher resolution camera I would assume your going to need a larger buffer memory than the Arducam has.

To use ov5642 module,you can got 1080p JPEG with Arducam shield. If you need the code, please leave me an email address.

I'm in the same boat. I know that Mr. Arduino has gotten the ov7670 up and running and with a library, but I'm looking for more of a tutorial as I'm quite new to all this still. I have an ov7670, and just bought an ov5642, but wiring it all up and knowing how to send the code to the camera module are what I'd need help with.

As for the ArduCam, I have no need for a screen that shows me the pictures. I am trying to come up with a trail camera for hunting. All I need to do is be able to save the pictures to an SD card and I'd be good.

The Arduino Yun will take a web cam and has the legs to deal with a single frame and maybe video. But forget the OV's at best its going to be very very slow. Just look at the the best data rate the AVR's can handle the amount of data.

Mark

Hello,
I got this camera to work and store images in the sd card:

Is this process the same for the OV5640 camera module? I am working on my graduation project and need to control 6 cameras with the arduino. Can more than one camera be connected to the arducam shield? I plan on using the fastest arduino, i've read its the Due.

hi iam suffering the same problem,any suggestion