ArduinoISP Arduino uno & blank atmega8 bootloader burn trouble

Hi - Having a similar problem on a Arduino Uno after about a week of use, I can't upload any new code.

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x0c != 0xff

The details:
Arduino Uno
Arduino software 1.0.2

I have been reading the posts in this thread and have spent a couple of evenings on Google trying to find a solution. Have tried the simple stuff (new cable, different computer, pressing the reset during compile). I am trying to work through Nick Gammon's excellent tutorial on reburning the bootloader using a second Arduino. Have downloaded the script http://gammon.com.au/Arduino/Atmega_Board_Programmer.zip and tried to compile in the Arduino environment and I get compile errors 'atmega168_optiboot' was not declared in this scope (see attached for verbose output. Not sure where to go from here. I think that I need to compile the Atmega_Board_Programmer script before I can upload to the new Arduino board and then flash to the original board. Not sure how to get Arduino environment to do this. Is there a better way? My 20 years of experience is in mechanical engineering and the electronics world is new to me.

Thanks for any help!

New Text Document.txt (9.95 KB)