Confuzzled about Serial.print() behavior

Okay...I have been trying to give myself a crash course in serial communication was going really well until now), and I came across this little tidbit that makes no sense. I know C and C++, both of which completely ignore unnecessary spacing unless the situation deems it appropriate (EG when calling an API in C++ or inside the quotation marks on a printf() command in C), and I know that Arduino is based off of Wiring, which is based off of C, which makes me scratch my head and wonder where I went wrong.

My code:

/*

• eh, math...
    */

int a=5;
int b=10;
int c=20;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("a = ");
Serial.print(a);
Serial.println("b = ");
Serial.print(b);
Serial.println("c = ");
Serial.print(c);
Serial.println("a+b = ");
Serial.print(a+b);
Serial.println("ac = ");
Serial.print(a
c);
Serial.println("c/b = ");
Serial.print(c/b);
Serial.println("b-c = ");
Serial.print(b-c);
}
void loop()
{

}

The serial output:

a =
5b =
10c =
20a+b =
15a*c =
100c/b =
2b-c =

Now, for the confusing thing - this is the code copied and pasted from the site where I got it from (Arduino Tutorial - Lesson 4 - Serial communication and playing with data)

/*

• eh, math...
    /
    /
  • Math is fun!
    */

int a = 5;
int b = 10;
int c = 20;

void setup() // run once, when the sketch starts
{
Serial.begin(9600); // set up Serial library at 9600 bps

Serial.println("Here is some math: ");

Serial.print("a = ");
Serial.println(a);
Serial.print("b = ");
Serial.println(b);
Serial.print("c = ");
Serial.println(c);

Serial.print("a + b = "); // add
Serial.println(a + b);

Serial.print("a * c = "); // multiply
Serial.println(a * c);

Serial.println("c / b = "); // divide
Serial.print(c / b);

Serial.print("b - c = "); // subtract
Serial.printl(b - c);
}

void loop() // we need this to be here even though its empty
{
}

Aaaand the output...

Here is some math:
a = 5
b = 10
c = 20
a + b = 15
a * c = 100
c / b =
2b - c =

Now, I know that my version of the code isn't exactly "neat" as far as spacing and such goes, but I don't really see any point as it really doesn't matter all that much because I document well enough, and because like I said earlier, it's C. It usually doesn't matter all that much. I just can't understand why it's doing it this time.

You mixed up printIn with print. it is starting a new line with the number, and continuing the new line with the next print.

Coding late at night? ;D

I'm not sure what your problem here is, but I think you need to look carefully at what 'println' does.
I'd be more worried about how yoir cut and paste works.

You mixed up printIn with print. it is starting a new line with the number, and continuing the new line with the next print.

Coding late at night? Grin

That did it...That syntax had worked perfectly with the "Hello world" program that I wrote, so I made the assumption (which made an ass out of me and a guy named umption) that that was the correct way to do it. I went back over the material I was studying, and sure enough, Serial.println() is described as "prints with line break". Forest, trees...You get the picture. Thanks for the assist.