This EEPOM will work, riiiiiiight? ;)

This tutorial has shown me it is possible to interface with EEPROM. This EEPROM is what I plan to use. It holds more, but it still is a 2-pin serial I2C EEPROM thingy with the same number of pins, so it should work, right? Also, I noticed that, from the picture, it looks like this particular breed of EEPROM thingy fits into a breadboard! :smiley:

If I were to find a way to interface with a CMOS camera (which I have unsuccessfully searched for) then what I would probably use this for is to temporarily dump pictures, because there's not enough RAM for them. I suppose as an added bonus it remembers pictures after I turn it off, too.

A few more questions...
Is this particular EEPROM a good choice?
Does it hold 1MB of data or 128KB?

A few more questions...
Is this particular EEPROM a good choice?

Would seem so to me, however you will probably have to modifiy that library to account for the larger address size and different I2C device address? There is also a thing about the block size you are trying to write with each transaction, if other then a single byte at a time. I would suspect you won't be impressed with how long it will take to write a complete picture to the device.

Does it hold 1MB of data or 128KB?

The AT24C1024B provides 1,048,576 bits of serial electrically erasable and programmable
read only memory (EEPROM) organized as 131,072 bytes of 8 bits each.
Here is the datasheet:

Okay, so it's 128kb. Since you didn't answer the first question I assume it would work with the tutorial?

Chicken325:
Okay, so it's 128kb. Since you didn't answer the first question I assume it would work with the tutorial?

Reread my first sentence. I think the tutorial library would not work as is and have to be modified, but I can't give you the specifics.

Lefty

You think it won't work? Hm... I thought it might just work since you put in the address yourself... Maybe that's just wishful thinking! :stuck_out_tongue:

I could just get the EEPROM used in the tutorial, but it's 4 times smaller and it probably won't fit into a breadboard.

Chicken325:
You think it won't work? Hm... I thought it might just work since you put in the address yourself... Maybe that's just wishful thinking! :stuck_out_tongue:

I could just get the EEPROM used in the tutorial, but it's 4 times smaller and it probably won't fit into a breadboard.

Perhaps this library from the arduino playground would be better to use? http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/I2CEEPROM24C1024

retrolefty:

Chicken325:

Perhaps this library from the arduino playground would be better to use? Arduino Playground - I2CEEPROM24C1024

That's fantastic! It's like that tutorial was made specifically for this thread! ;D

Also, it says I can stack up to 4 in a row just by wiring them together. How do I do this and would it need a changed library or do I just increase the address?

Chicken325:
Okay, so it's 128kb...

You should be more carefull now with capitals, b=bit and B=byte. There is 8x difference in size. Also it is not right to say Kb or KB, can you see the problem?
:wink:

Cheers,
Kari