My first CNC machine Arduino Mega controlled!!!!

I think you need some more stuff on that table. I can still see the table in a couple of places.

Looks like my work bench, except with less clutter ;D

Does the power cord on the tool cause any drag/weight problems? Because of that issue I was thinking of using a cordless on mine and hard-wiring it to a power supply, I figure that cord should be lighter and more flexible than a typical 120v

clutter is the mark of a true genius.

working on my own cnc... so far i've got one a test setup running one axis. How did you get around the "i can only move one stepper at a time" issue? is it a choppy movement?

This is very cool!
I want to make a 3d printer, I'm thinking I'll attempt it after college applications are done!

it is difficult to understand but it allways move one stepper at a time, what happens is that it does so fast you don´t notice.... take a look at my code...

video........

The CNC mill threads give me chills. :o

I've got my motors, limit switches and basic chassis materials. Need to buy threaded shaft, bearings, slide/guide materials, electronics and random small parts. And I will soon have one of these. I can't even express how excited I am to build a CNC mill of my own!

Does the software do 3D? Or is the z axis only for moves? I would love to turn some of my daughter's art sketches into 3D wood carvings!! And make my own custom project parts!! :sunglasses:

You forgot to close your tag! Now your program won't compile correctly.... ::slight_smile:

It would on FrontPage. We don't no steenking closing tags. Stupid ass program.

yes it does 3d... the z axis can move up to 3 inches.....

Do you have any more photos of the mechanical stuff? I'm interested in the guide rail setup and power/torque of your steppers.

i am going to change the grooved bearings,,,, to have better performance......... when its ready i will post more pics

hello people, now after all my work on the machine, i need to understand cad, cam software,,,,,, any help?

What are you looking to know?
<== Ex CAD guy

i think a very easy way is to start with google sketch up: http://sketchup.google.com/

quite simple to draw some things and you can export into g-code (with some tricks)

how???

install it and then go to the tutorials: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=36e1fa0d054a15eecc725c514c21d975&prevstart=0&hl=de&ct=lc

if you make them you should be ready to start :slight_smile:

Great CNC!!!

You think is possible to use an Arduino2009 instead of Arduino Mega?

How many digital and analog in/out you use for your project?

i use 2 inputs per motorm 2 more per limit switch, great total of 12 i/o

Oh great!!
The 2009 has 13 digital I/O and 6 analog input...

So you use only digital I/O?

My idea was to use 6 digital output for the motors...and 3 analog input for the limit switch...one for X, one for Y ando one for Z axis.

How you use the limit switch? only for stop the process or to correct it?