Data Logger

Hi Gang

I'm wanting to make a data logger using an Arduino. I've noticed that for some reason data logger shields seem to be a little thin on the ground. I found the following blog that looked promising;

Mark refers to the following shield;

http://www.mlt-group.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Has anyone used this and have they had any success?

Cheers

Jase

ilovetoflyfpv:
I've noticed that for some reason data logger shields seem to be a little thin on the ground.

Marxy is just musing and not helping.

The shield you allude to only provides a clock and an SD card, both of which you can do without, and does nothing to assist you in the actual collection of data.

I guess if you googled data logging shield you won't actually get much because, if you really need one, you probably want it the way you want it, and make your own. I got this board when I first started.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perfect-High-Quality-New-Arduino-Sensor-Shield-Digital-Analog-Module-Servos-V4-/280780638138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item415fd487ba

I have never used it because I immediately realised that, apart from fitting problems, I could do better making my own. Having said that, you might find it just what you need, probably more than you need, and it would go well with the clock and SD board.

Nick_Pyner:
The shield you allude to only provides a clock and an SD card, both of which you can do without, and does nothing to assist you in the actual collection of data.

I dunno, it depends on what type of data logging you want to do. If you are going to be disconnected from the host system for periods of time, I can image wanting to know the exact time an event occurs, and likely it will produce enough data that it would swamp the memory and EEPROM of the Arduino. I suspect that is why the majority of shields listed as data loggers have a real time clock and SD/micro-sd card. Not every data logger needs this, but I suspect a lot of them do.

MichaelMeissner:

Nick_Pyner:
and does nothing to assist you in the actual collection of data.

Not every data logger needs this, but I suspect a lot of them do.

Including me. But a data logging shield is for collecting data and this shield offers nothing for that purpose that the Arduino it plugs into hasn't already got.

Trust me, it is very easy for newbies to unwittingly buy stuff they don't need........

Hi Gang

Thanks for the replies. I am wanting to make a remote water level sensor. The data logger shield which has a real time clock and SD card would be very useful as I could write to the SD card periodically current level.

Cheers

Jase

If you want to do that, and nothing else, you probably need only three wires at most and you don't really need a shield for your sensors. You just push the wires into the pinholes provided. You can do that into the shield you mention, or straight into the Arduino. If you want to add more sensors, or other stuff, things might start to get messy.

If you can run the Arduino on the PC, you can use the latter for recording and date/time stamping, also visual display., i.e. your Arduino merely serves as an interface for what is essentially a PC level monitor.

Hi Nick

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: .

Cheers

Jase

This is a popular data logger shield with SD card and RTC:

I have the kit version that I assembled myself. Works fine with Arduino UNO and MEGA. The new version is all assembled.

Bonjour
J'essaie de réaliser un détecteur de couleur à base de : carte méga 2560, carte data loger et carte tcs3200 détecteur de couleur.
Le but est détecté la couleur et daté l'heure la durée et le jour de cette détection, j'ai un peu de mal à partir sur de bonne base pour compilé un programme, si quelqu'un a était confronté ou a réaliser un projet identique ou similaires, je serais preneur de bonne infos