digital led strip

Hi everyone!

I need to program a digital led strip (approximately 2 meters), so it will show specific patterns. Could you please help me and explain how to name each led, it's brightness and colour in the code?

The strip is going to be connected to 3 FSR and different values will provoke different patterns. I have tried this with 3 LED pins and it's pretty easy to program as each pin refers to an individual number (I mean arduino connection). So there is a condition, for example - if the value of FSR 1 is between 30 and 50, ledpin1 high ledpin2 low ledpin3 low. But with the strip there are going to be 2 connections for DI and CI.
What is the best way to do it with the strip?

Thanks in advance!

What code or library will you be using to drive the strip? It should have functions to set intensity and colour per LED.

I have no idea about the code or library where I can find it.. I am just playing with led. and I wanted to write the code myself. But I'm pretty new to this so I've no idea how to name all that stuff. Can I get something alike somewhere to get an idea? I couldn't find anything myself.

I have no idea about the code or library where I can find it..

Well, we have no idea which LED strip you are using, so asking here is rather pointless. Every strip manufacturer that thinks there product will work with an Arduino usually links some library that they think will work.

Can you recommend some brand? I need to make a mask and incorporate a strip inside of silicone, so it will be like a 3D matrix and I need to program every single light. It's a student project and I'm really new to arduino, so I need to learn things. I would appreciate if experienced users can recommend something. I have checked some tutorials but didn't find how to code every light separately.

I have checked some tutorials but didn't find how to code every light separately.

Adafruit sells LED strips AND has libraries with examples.

pauline_besse:
Can you recommend some brand? I need to make a mask and incorporate a strip inside of silicone, so it will be like a 3D matrix and I need to program every single light. It's a student project and I'm really new to arduino, so I need to learn things. I would appreciate if experienced users can recommend something. I have checked some tutorials but didn't find how to code every light separately.

If you need to control each LED and have each LED be able to be any color, a WS2812B LED strip should work. I buy mine on eBay. Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-4FT-WS2812B-60LED-Color-Strip-Light-Non-Waterproof-Individually-Addressable-/271462105196
That's a 5m strip. I am not sure what you have in mind.

PaulS:
Adafruit sells LED strips AND has libraries with examples.

For some reason my computer's security doesn't allow to open adafruit website, but I will try to check it out! Thank you!

ieee488:
If you need to control each LED and have each LED be able to be any color, a WS2812B LED strip should work. I buy mine on eBay. Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-4FT-WS2812B-60LED-Color-Strip-Light-Non-Waterproof-Individually-Addressable-/271462105196
That's a 5m strip. I am not sure what you have in mind.

That is exactly what I need! Thank you! How long did the shipping take?

Do you have some code examples? How do you name every single led and colour features? (sorry if I name something wrong it's kind of intuitive naming)

pauline_besse:
That is exactly what I need! Thank you! How long did the shipping take?

Do you have some code examples? How do you name every single led and colour features? (sorry if I name something wrong it's kind of intuitive naming)

The Chinese sellers on eBay are away until about February 15, 2016 since they usually take two weeks holiday for Chinese New Year.

If you buy now today, you won't get anything for at least four (4) weeks if you are in the USA. It usually takes even longer for other countries. 1 week + 1 week to process when they get back since they will be swamped with orders that have accumulated in two weeks + 2 weeks for shipping
Under normal situation, they usually take 2 calendar days to ship and then 14 calendar days for shipping by ePacket (make sure they use ePacket)

Anyway, I used the FastLED library. Very good tutorial that helped me a lot --> http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/arduino-ws2812-led/

ieee488:
Anyway, I used the FastLED library. Very good tutorial that helped me a lot --> http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/arduino-ws2812-led/

I think I'll have to find a store in Europe cause the project is relatively short.

That is very helpful! Thank you so much! Though I'm sure I will have more specific questions when I try programming :slight_smile:

Amazon.co.uk does sell the WS2812B LED strips