Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When?

Arduino is very different than free open source software, FOSS, projects I have been involved with.

Open source software projects sometimes have a benevolent dictator governance model Benevolent dictator governance model. Even in this model there is active engagement and contribution by the community.

The benevolent dictator model works because members are free to take the code and create alternative projects. In fact, this ability to fork is very important to the health of open source communities, it ensures that those involved in project governance strive to make the right decisions for the community,

This is not the case with Arduino. The fact that it is "open hardware" and most of the community consists of beginners means that there is little pressure on the Arduino team to listen to the community. There is no threat of their authority being overturned by users forking the project.

I don't see this situation changing as it did with early projects I was involved with. I worked on BSD Unix at Berkeley in the 1970s because control of Unix by AT&T was unacceptable. This finally evolved to Linux.

The Linux kernel is controlled by Linus Torvalds as a benevolent dictator. The Debian version of Linux has evolved to be very open and elects its leaders Open Source Leadership: Debian.

The situation is out fault. Our community is too weak to do anything about it.

Remember the Unix "Live Free Or Die" license plate http://www.unix.org/unix_plates.html.