Which arduino should I purchase?

Evening All,

I have had an Arduino Duemilanove for a number of years which is perfect and I really enjoy. I've recently been working on projects which require two Arduino's, which communicate wirelessly, and I've been programming a second ATMEGA on a breadboard from my single Duemilanove. This is becoming a hindrance when I am trying to write and debug both ends at the same time.

Basically I want a second Arduino... I think!? I'm a little overwhelmed though...which boards should I be looking at? An Uno? A Leonardo? Something else? I've reviewed the comparison pages but I'm not sure what most of it means to me.

I like the look of seeeduino (and the price is attractive)... anyone got anything good/bad to say about them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also as a side question, can I put my Duemilanove inside a case designed for an UNO?

Thanks,
LongTom

The current arduino Uno board is the direct replacement for your Arduino Duemilanove board, but it does require a different PC USB driver to be installed per the IDE installtion instruction. You can still buy Arduino Duemilanove Asian 'clone' boards on E-bay, so the choice is yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duemilanove-USB-Board-2009-ATMega328P-PU-microcontroller-Compatible-with-Arduino-/290870277556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b93835b4

I wouldn't go with any other board unless you need the added capabilities they offer.

If you are using breadboards, consider a Nano which mounts on a breadboard itself and is otherwise the same as a UNO except that using the SMD chip, it includes the analog pins A6 and A7. If you do not need the USB port, a Pro Micro is similar but shorter and you can connect a USB to TTL converter just for programming (or use ISP).

AFAIK the UNO board is exactly the same size as the Duemilanove.

Thanks both for the helpful recommendations.

I get the feeling that Uno is the one for me. I've not noticed any shortcomings of my Duemilanove and it seems the Uno is its direct replacement.

retrolefty you mentioned clone boards. I notice that some clones are very cheap and I wonder if I should be wary or take a gamble.

LongTom:
Thanks both for the helpful recommendations.

I get the feeling that Uno is the one for me. I've not noticed any shortcomings of my Duemilanove and it seems the Uno is its direct replacement.

retrolefty you mentioned clone boards. I notice that some clones are very cheap and I wonder if I should be wary or take a gamble.

Well I personally don't think it's a matter of them being a gamble or not, all the ones I've tried so far have worked just fine. I'm particularly attracted to the $7-8 Nano compatible boards, lots of bang for the buck. The main issue many have is that buying 'real' arduino boards from authorized sellers helps the Arduino company directly and indirectly supports the costs for this forum provided by them.

My personal opinion is that every one should buy at least one true made by Arduino, arduino board. But after that as needs and personal funds might dictate one should not be afraid of buying 'clones' as long as they don't misrepresent their listing as being a true arduino rather then a compatible clone. Others of course have other opinions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-USB-Micro-controller-Board-For-Arduino-Nano-V3-0-ATmega328P-compatible-W3LE-/310870953200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48615a4cf0

Lefty

I bought a Funduino UNO from ebay for £10.98. I chose that one because it looks like a good close match to the real UNO and they appear to be very open about it not being a genuine Arduino.

It arrived quickly and I'm very happy. As far as I can tell it's working great and the quality doesn't seem too far off my genuine Duemilanove.

Thanks for the help!