Why is the reset button required on my 'breadboard arduino'?

See this page:

If you have a 0.1 uF capacitor in series with the RTS line, you shouldn't need the reset button. Halfway down that page I uploaded a sketch without having to press a reset button (I didn't have one).

Thank you thank you thank you!

In order for the Arduino to be able to accept the new sketch it has to be running the bootloader.

The bootloader is the first bit of code the Arduino runs after a reboot or power-up. After a short timeout, if no sketch has been received, the bootloader exits and runs the currently loaded sketch.

Normally the Arduino performs a reset whenever the serial port is opened by the computer. This is both annoying and convenient. Convenient in that when you go to upload a sketch the Arduino reboots and enters the bootloader automatically. Annoying because when you connect your running Arduino to a computer and open the serial port it reboots it, losing any data in the RAM.

So adding the capacitor as mentioned will enable the auto-reboot - it will also enable the wipe-your-Arduino's-RAM function on opening the serial port.

Ok, the whole waiting for a timeout because of the bootloader thing makes sense...in fact, I think that would explain why my sketches take a second or so to run after powering on or resetting when I'm running off of this breadboarded hardware like this. However, what I don't understand is that why is it that the same exact sketch (and chip) runs instantaneously when powering up/rebooting on an actual, store-bought Arduino Duemilanove?

Thanks,
Jamie

I think the timeout may be shorter on those - with the auto-reboot function you don't need as long a timeout. I'm pretty sure there is still a small delay on my UNO. There are a couple of flashes from the LED while it boots - it's not instant, but it's pretty quick.

domiflichi:
However, what I don't understand is that why is it that the same exact sketch (and chip) runs instantaneously when powering up/rebooting on an actual, store-bought Arduino Duemilanove?

Could have a different bootloader on it.

Can't be different bootloader because i can take the chip off of the store-bought board and move it to the breadboard and there is a delay on the breadboard circuit when powering on, but no delay when it was on the actual store-bought board when powering it on with the same chip.

Put a pull-up resistor on Rx (D0 or pin 2 on the chip).

Since I'm a noob, I'm still trying to figure out the whole pull-up / pull-down resistor stuff - could you elaborate a little more please? What kind of resistor (1/4W?, how many ohms), and do I connect it to ground or +5V?

Thanks,
jamie

10K (the exact value doesn't matter much) between the pin and +5V. That is a "pull-up" because it weakly pulls the pin "up" to 5V. A "pull-down" would be tied between the pin and Gnd.

The reason for 10K (rather than, say 10 ohms) is the current it would draw if the pin happened to be configured as an output and set low.

Using Ohm's Law, I = E/R the current would be 5 / 10000 which is 0.5 mA. However if you used 10 ohms it would be 5/10, which is half an amp (which the pin can't handle).

So, since it is 0.5 mA the wattage will be low (5 * 0.5 mA = 2.5 mW) and thus a 1/4 W resistor (250 mW) would be plenty.

The reason for it is, without it the line (Rx) will probably have noise on it, and the bootloader will take a few seconds trying to make sense of the noise before it gives up.

I = E/R

E? Do you use different units down under?

E is energy, isn't it? V is volts.

I = V/R

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

You may as well say it is:

A = V / ?

I is current (measured in amps (A))
E is voltage (measured in volts (V))
R is resistance (measured in ohms (?))

Also see:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm

I admit there are other sites that use V for voltage (and hey, I wish it had been that way from the start!).

We are getting a bit off topic (what else is new?) but here's how I have always dealt with 'E' and 'V'.

The symbol 'E' is an abbreviation of the term 'electromotive force' or 'emf' which is the potential energy supplied by a supply such as a battery.

The symbol 'V' is an abbreviation of the term 'voltage' which is typically a quantity that is measured with a device that is not surprisingly called a 'voltmeter' or calculated using Ohm's law or Kirchofff's voltage law.

Many people use the symbols interchangeably, but technically you probably shouldn't do this. You should use 'E' to represent voltages that are supplied by a battery or other power supply and use 'V' to represent voltages that are measured with a voltmeter or calculated by one of the various electrical 'laws'.

Since you shouldn't apply Ohm's law to a power supply (or anything other than a resistor) you probably should use 'V' when expressing that law.

Don

E is voltage (measured in volts (V))

This is kind of like saying that speed is the miles-per-hourage of an automobile measured in miles per hour. Your 'voltage' version is quite common and almost universally used, but technically just as wrong as my example.

Ohm's Law, Ohm's Law Pie Chart
You may as well say it is:
A = V / ?

That is because this Internet resource claims that P = Watts, I = Amperes, E= Volts, and R = Ohms. In all four cases the author is using the unit instead of the name. The only one that is even remotely correct is E=Volts, and that is only due to convention as mentioned above.

P = Power, I = Current, E= Potential , and R = Resistance

Don

Well I put a 10k resistor between pin 2 and 5v, and it didn't seem to change anything - still 2-3 seconds delay between plugging in power and my LED turning on.

Let's see a photo.

You got it!

That's a really nice picture. Where are the decoupling/bypass capacitors for the microprocessor power pins?

Don

Given your statements, I assume you mean the RED led is slow to turn on, not the clear LED on the 328 pin 15.
I am also assuming that you are using the same power source for both tests.

There are only 2 things I can think of.

1. The FT232 is loading down the +5 volts. Unplug the FT232 board from the breadboard and try it.
  2. The 5 volt regulator is slow coming up to voltage. Do you have another you can try?