ArduinoIDE on RaspberryPi

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd share my very quick walk through for getting ArduinoIDE running on RaspberryPi.

http://go.je/19b

wauw great work.
Where can I order a rasppberry? 8)
Greetings from Belgium

Cool. The default Debian install had 018 in the package manager. I never could figure out how to update it to 1.0 (1.0.1 now). The only thing I see being a problem with your instructions is you don't cover the final install, which would put it into the apps menu in the window manager..

Raspberry pi is out of stock now. Next orders will be opened in June/July.

Where can I order a rasppberry

Farnell
www.farnell.com
or
RS

That is RS as in Radio Spares not Radio Shack.

hey can you try bootloading using the UART on the GPIO header directly?

on the GPIO header directly?

Well as the Pi uses 3.3V and the arduino uses 5V, you would fry your pi.

The only place I have seen a fried pie is Scotland where they deep fry a macaroni pie.

Is there a device like the MAX232, but instead of going from 5v to 12v, goes from 5v to 3.3v? Seems like this would be handy.

There are plenty of ways to do logic level translation, transistor, FET or buffer.

I have used the 74LS07, that is a non inverting buffer with an open collector output so you simply power it with 5V and connect the output to a 1K pull up resistor to 3V3.

Grumpy_Mike:

Where can I order a rasppberry

Farnell
www.farnell.com
or
RS
RS Components International
That is RS as in Radio Spares not Radio Shack.

You can only show interests on these sites.
I just checked on farnell and I'm enlisted at RS.
So: Where can I order a rasppberry? 8)

Best regards
Jantje

Where can I order a rasppberry?

Those are the only two places you can order them from.

First you register an interest, then they log that and put you in a queue, then they invite you to order one.
I have been sent today by RS, a unique activation code that will allow me to order one. However, I ordered one on the launch day from Farnell and was sent an email yesterday saying it had been dispatched so I am expecting mine tomorrow.
They sold 100,000 on day one alone. There is a bit of a backlog.

I followed your directions, and it does run, however it's having trouble detecting the serial ports.
If I put an ftdi based arduino on (at boot time) it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 in the Serial port menu, but the download fails.
UNOs don't show up in the menu, but they do show up in the /dev/tty.... but Arduino IDE can't see them.
Using the stock debian squeeze image.

try: "chmod a+rwx /dev/ttyUSB*". If that's the issue then the serial port should be immediately available in the Arduino IDE.

You can modify the udev rule to make this automatic. For me this was /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules and adding "MODE=0666" to the line beginning with "KERNEL==".

Raspbian has Arduino 1.0.1 in the repository's.. Simple "sudo apt-get install arduino", sets all the permissions and everything.. :slight_smile:

Just Great!
I´m on both Lists for a while and only got one "Just wait a bit"-Mail until yet :-/

It really gets an amazing combination of Pi & Ardu, I expect. My whole livingroom will be connected then, I suppose :smiley:

Yeah, I was playing with it last night, granted, I have my Pi overclocked to 1GHz, but anyways, it's totally usable. I can't seem to out-type it, which is more than I can say for the web browser. Compiling a simple sketch takes about a minute. It uploaded to my Uno just fine.