Go Down

Topic: RFID ERROR: PCD_Authenticate() failed: Timeout in communication (Read 487 times) previous topic - next topic

radulepy

Hello guys,

Soo... i bought an RFID reader RC522 for a home project and i've played a little with it and i got some kind of error.
I uploaded the code for the RFID DUMP READER to read the dump files ( dumb/ dump ?).
And i got 2 cards not tags. Both are mifare 1kb but from one i can read the dumb/dump files and from the other i got this error :

Code: [Select]
PCD_Authenticate() failed: Timeout in communication

on every row of the bytes.

The card with the error is ( i think ) is formatted like ndef?
I found these :

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pn532-rfid-nfc/ndef
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pn532-rfid-nfc/mifare

So can i do something to read the dumb files from the card or anything without UID and version  ?
 Thank you

radulepy

Grumpy_Mike

dumb/ dump
dumb - means stupid
dump - to transfer from one place to another - This is the one you want.

PCD_Authenticate() failed: Timeout in communication
When you read the data in a Mifair card you need an authenticate code. In a blank card this defaults to six bytes of 0xFF. Have you put this in to the dumping program somewhere?

It could be the card has been used before and someone has written encrypted data on it. Does it happen on all sectors?

radulepy

Hello and thank you for the answer.

Yes the "PCD_Authenticate() failed: Timeout in communication" happens every sector, i will check again today.

And if it's encrypted i can't somehow decrypt it ? ( i don't think i have a 'decryption key' )
And if i get that key how do i apply it and decrypt it since i can't read any dump file. (?)

Now i'm pretty curious what was on that card.
Any idea of decryption ?
It's .HEX isn't it ?

> if i can't decrypt, i guess i can't 'clone' it and paste it to a new card...

Thank you again.

Grumpy_Mike

And if it's encrypted i can't somehow decrypt it ?
No that is the point of data on a card. If you could do this easily then you would be able to get free transport tickets for life in many parts of the world.

Any idea of decryption ?
It's .HEX isn't it ?
No. You pass the decryption key in the call you make to read the sector. The default as I said is six bytes of 0xFF. Have you put this in to the dumping program somewhere?

Can you read the UID from the card? That first sector is not protected.

radulepy

Mhm, so the transportation system got a card like that but with a key (for dectypt), right ?
What if i got that key ? :))
I guess the one that made them knew that (for example, i don't know the key, but maybe my friend can remember it)

And yes i can read the UID of the card (the HEX & DEC i guess) and the type of the card. (Mifare 1kb ~kinda)

I'll try tomorrow something new.

P.S. I read on other forums that the card is formated ndef ? something like that and not encrypted ? is that real ?

Thank you for answering me.

P.S.S How does the transport companies change the card, or clone them?
Like, we got some kind of dispenser where you put money and that adds points for transportation :?
looks simple but they got that key or ?

That's very interesting, i would like to know more but just untill the legall point, becouse it could be kinda ilegal to know how to put points on cards, but awesome :))))

Thanks again.

Grumpy_Mike

. I read on other forums that the card is formated ndef ? something like that and not encrypted ? is that real ?
You might want to read this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7633513/mifare-classic-1k-and-nfc-communication-protocol

radulepy

Ok, so i need the decryption key...
Can't decrypt or see anything without it ? (no UID... ) :)

radulepy

You might want to read this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7633513/mifare-classic-1k-and-nfc-communication-protocol
and if i have the decryt code ? how do i read the card using it ?
Since the error is "PCD_Authenticate() failed: Timeout in communication"
and not security error,,, or ?

Thanks

Grumpy_Mike

You said that you could read the UID? You do not need a key for that.

I think it is time you posted your code, you seem not to know where in it is the encription key. Please use code tags, read the how to use this forum sticky post.

fusionftw

I have the same Problem.

My Tags worked before, but after i wrote something on them with a smartphone app, they only show this "error".

So my question is: Is there any possibility to reset the tag as if they are factory fresh?

Lennyz1988

I have the same Problem.

My Tags worked before, but after i wrote something on them with a smartphone app, they only show this "error".

So my question is: Is there any possibility to reset the tag as if they are factory fresh?
You do not got the same problem. Yours is completely different.

There is a example included in the library. FixBrickedUID. You could try it and see if it solves your problem.

Grumpy_Mike

my question is: Is there any possibility to reset the tag as if they are factory fresh?
My answer is no their is not any possibility of resetting a tag.

Go Up