Go Down

Topic: PNP transistor in H bridge not closing (Read 569 times) previous topic - next topic

lukasz_b_g

Hi,
I'm trying to make an H bridge using BJT's, and things aren't exactly working out.

After burning some transistors, it kind of works, but the motor spins much slower one way than the other.

Below is a schematic of the circuit.

The transistor that's not closing [it stays at 0.1V - 0.4V](even though the other one is identical, and swapping components between each other doesn't help) heats up, along with it's counterpart (so both the NPN and PNP transistor heats, but not the helper npn)

Again, it only happens one way, I really don't know why. I'll have a friend double check the breadboard for me.

I'm grateful for any additional tips or useful links as to how to properly connect a pnp, and pointing out any additional mistakes.

This is the article that I used: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran_3.html

The transistors controlling the motor directly are BD137 and BD138, the helper npn's are BC547

PaulRB

Jul 15, 2017, 10:36 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017, 10:56 pm by PaulRB

Could you please edit your schematic into a proper h bridge layout? It's hard to follow drawn the way you have it right now.

Also, are you powering the motor from the output of the Arduino's 5V regulator and powering the Arduino from a 11V supply? If so, this is not a good idea.

EDIT: there's a 24V supply too?

PieterP

Probably Q5 and Q3 conducting at the same time. Are you sure that D10 is always the opposite of D8? And the same for D9 and D7.

Pieter

Jiggy-Ninja

Jul 15, 2017, 11:05 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017, 11:05 pm by Jiggy-Ninja
What is D1 for? Get rid of it, and don't connect 5V to that part of the circuit to begin with.

Your PNPs are backwards. Emitters go to the power rails, and the collectors go to the motor. Their diodes are also the wrong way around. The high side diodes are forward biased the way you have them drawn.
Hackaday: https://hackaday.io/MarkRD

Jiggy-Ninja

Also, the base of a BJT doesn't need a pulldown. You can get rid of R7 through R10.
Hackaday: https://hackaday.io/MarkRD

wvmarle

Why connecting the 5V and 3.3V pins of your Arduino together? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. This including the connection though D1 doesn't appear to have any function to me.

The motor appears to be powered from 24V (it's customary to place the high voltage on the top of your drawing, ground or 0V at the bottom). At least not from the Arduino's power supply. That's good.

Indeed Q5, Q6 and their respective diodes are the wrong way. I guess this are the transistors that heat up (you forgot to specify this!)

Why this odd mix of 2.2k and 100k resistors? Getting those mixed up may also cause problems. From the schematic it's not clear how they're mixed. Transistors anyway don't need pull-downs, as they're current driven (unlike MOSFETs which are voltage driven and do need them).
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

TomGeorge

Jul 16, 2017, 07:20 am Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 07:21 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

This is my interpretation of the OPs circuit.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Wawa

Q5 and Q6, including their diodes, are drawn upside down.
Leo..

wvmarle

Q5 and Q6, including their diodes, are drawn upside down.
Leo..
Just like in the original schematic as posted by OP.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

TomGeorge

Hi,
I have interpreted the OPs circuit so he/she can see how to lay the circuit out, all the errors are still there.

I have not made any corrections.

Tom.. :)

TomGeorge

Jul 16, 2017, 07:54 am Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 07:55 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Suggested fixes..

Tom.. :)
PS. Feel free to edit.

Wawa

Jul 16, 2017, 08:02 am Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 08:06 am by Wawa
Only problem might be drive current for the NPN power transistors (BD137).
20mA from an Arduino pin is just be ok for a few hundred mA motor current.
Leo..

lukasz_b_g

Thank's for all the replies!
Later today I'll try the suggested fix schematic, and see if that fixes the problem.
I also apologize for my poor schematic drawing skills.

TomGeorge

Thank's for all the replies!
Later today I'll try the suggested fix schematic, and see if that fixes the problem.
I also apologize for my poor schematic drawing skills.
Your diagram just needs some structure to allow the flow of the circuit to be easy to trace, good try if your first attempt.
You will learn as you go, try to avoid diagonal wires or wires that cross at other than 90Deg.
As you will have seen in my version, the use of the gnd symbol to help tidy up some of the wiring and as suggested, starting with positive supply wire across the top usually helps to get the layout right.
A bit of time spent getting your diagram right and clear can add up to better understanding of your circuit when asking for advise about it.
Tom... :)

Wawa

Looking at the drawing from TomGeorge (post#10), I would suggest
1k for R1,R2,  10k for R3,R4,R11,R12,  and 220ohm for R5,R6.
I think we all have to give TomGeorge some karma for all these clear drawings he puts on this website.
Leo..

Go Up