Go Down

Topic: Batteries, WIFI Boards & The Best Battery Life (Read 153 times) previous topic - next topic

thomascoope

Jul 17, 2017, 02:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 02:43 pm by thomascoope
I am looking to build a project that will report a button push to an online API via WIFI.  I am using the Adafruit Feather Huzzah ESP8266 with a 2000MaH battery.  I seem to be getting around 24 hours of operation before the battery runs out of power.

I have no power management in operation (I am aware of practices such as this - https://www.losant.com/blog/making-the-esp8266-low-powered-with-deep-sleep) , but not sure whether there are better boards worth considering for better power management?  I am aware of the other Adafruit offerings within the Feather ecosystem which I understand have power management out of the box, but wondered if there is anything else out there worth considering?

I'd like something that can run for weeks if not months at a time without requiring a recharge, only connecting to the net & making an API call when a button is pressed.

wvmarle

I think you mean 2000 mAh. Sounds reasonable to run an ESP8266 for a day, without power management.

Depending on the application, if you can get the ESP to get into deep sleep you go down to about 20 uA. Then when the button is pressed wake up, send the ping to the database, and go back to sleep.  Should get you a few years on a battery - assuming the battery doesn't leak charge too much.

To react on a button press, deep sleep may not be suitable, and you may need "light sleep" which uses about 0.4 mA, and on which your battery would last some 200 days (or maybe 120-150 days in your case, with the occasional WiFi communication).

Some more info here to get you started.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

thomascoope

Great.  Thats useful to know & yes, mAh!

I understand that some other chips have better power management (Adafruit released a new Feather ESP32 that manages power automatically - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLStxYBnV2w&list=PL028933C9CA644CFB&t=318s&index=8#).

Nick_Pyner

Jul 18, 2017, 02:43 am Last Edit: Jul 18, 2017, 02:46 am by Nick_Pyner
Since you are just reporting a button push, and you haven't said that Arduino is doing anything else,  can't you simply use that button as the power switch?

Go Up