Unable to program standalone arduino project with ft232rl?

Hey guys I made up a little project to mess with a standalone arduino (Atmega328p), TLC5940 and 5 RGB LEDs.

I got all the parts and soldered it all together today, Went to program it up with a ft232rl connected and it doesn't work.

Just would like someone with someone to take a look and tell me what im doing wrong or what steps i can take to fault find this thing.

I've attached a photo of the thing and my fritzing sketches for the pcb and schematic. Thanks for any and all help as this is my first reall electronics project off of a breadboard.

Have you installed a bootloader on that processor?

I bought 10 of them apparently with the bootloader installed already. Is there an easy way to check?

Connect an LED + current limiting resistor to pin 13 (Arduino pin 13; not physical pin 13). Reset the processor. If the LED blinks three times you are good.

I believe the TLC5940 requires one (or two?) capacitors to function correctly.

The processor should have a 0.1 µF capacitor across all VCC / GND pairs as close as possible to the processor. (For the ATmega328{P} processor there are two pairs.)

I just put another one of the 10 chips in my arduino uno and I cant write the blink sketch to it either, Seems the ebay seller charged me $10 extra for nothing :sob:

Armed with a breadboard and a functioning Arduino you can install the bootloader yourself.

Nick Gammon's diagnostic programs may help - if you have another Arduino on which they can be loaded.

...R

Hi,
Where are ALL your bypass capacitors that SHOULD be around the two regulators.
regult.jpg

Have you applied power without the ICs fitted to see if you have supplies?

You have designed a nice clean PCB, although the tracks could been thicker and a power indicator LED and or heartbeat LED fitted.

You do have TX or the programmer connected to Rx or the controller PCB.?
You do have RX or the programmer connected to Tx or the controller PCB.?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi,
I just noticed that you have the 5V from your programmer connected to the output of the 5V regulator on the PCB.

Do you remove the jumper on the programmer so it does not supply power to the PCB?
It is not good to try and push current into the output of a LM7805.

Tom.. :slight_smile: