MULTIPLE SENSORS THROUGH DUEMILANOVE TO MAX/MSP5

HELLO,
I'M VERY NEW TO MAX AND I AM HAVING A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT HOW TO SET-UP 4 TO 6 SENSORS ON THE DUEMILANOVE THEN TALK TO MAX.

I CAN PROGRAM IN THE BOARD IN THE ARDIUNO ENVIRONMENT BUT HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SET-UP MAX.

REASON I AM USING MAX IS TO TRIGGER (PLAY) DIFFERENT SOUND FILES FROM DIFFERENT FOLDERS; ONE SENSOR TO ONE FOLD OF AUDIO FILES; LIVE COMPOSING/SOUND/SCAPE.

I GOT A PATCHER FROM THIS SITE (BY ROBB LOVELL & GREG CORNESS- CALLED ARDUINO-READBOARD). BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START.

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A HAD-OUT, BUT I KEEP READING THAT THIS IS REALLY EASY, I'VE WORKED WITH PROCESSING AND ARDUINO SOFTWARE AND IT SEEMS A BIT MORE STRAIGHT FORWARD THAN MAX; I'M I CRAZY?

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP :slight_smile:

Try Maxuino.org which should help you easily get things running.

Also, quit screaming. Fix your caps lock key.

Sorry about the caps,

I have gone to Maxuino and have uploaded the program to talk to MAX. After that I'm lost.

Sorry.

BG

This is an Arduino forum. We can help you with the Arduino side of things. This is not a MAX/MSP forum, so help there will be limited.

What data is being sent from the triggers ie. integer, floating point, MIDI, OSC?

I've been using Max for a few solid months perhaps I could help.

Also check out the buffer object helpfile and the groove object help file.
Those should help you out.

I am looking to use sensor "A" to trigger an audio file from folder "A", and have 6 to 10 sensors to audio folders total. This is for an art installation working off of the presence through motion, pressure, and light.

The signal only has to be enough for MAX to play an audio file from the folder mapped to the sensor.

Type of sensor I'm in the middle of working on (not sure which), motion seemed the best, but read another thread where the person said they had tried PIR motion sensor (to do the same as I am wanting) and was having issues (not enough for MAX to read &/or false signal w/out motion).

Also, tried the MAX forum and just got a patcher sample nothing on arduino stuff, the board is great, but the main issue is the communication between it and MAX; that's is my struggle.

Thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

B

the main issue is the communication between it and MAX; that's is my struggle.

Trouble sending data from MAX to the Arduino? Trouble reading data on the Arduino? Trouble sending data from the Arduino? Trouble reading data in MAX?

Can you clarify which of these parts you are having trouble with/not understanding?

Sorry,
The way I am hoping to have the sensors talk to MAX via human interaction by pressure, motion, IR, and piezo. So, I need to send data to MAX from a sensor, but not sure which sensor will be the best for an installation (motion, IR, etc.) for human interaction or presence.

Mainly, walking through, but also touching some props in the space. I have made piezo buzzers into mics and read in one of these threads that it was enough signal to send to MAX depending upon the action (pressure, vibration, etc.)

The big thing I am having trouble with is I can program in the Arduino environment, and set-up patches in MAX, but talking to one another is confusing me.

I hope this was a bit more clear.

I hope this was a bit more clear.

Sorry, no.

Sending sensor data from the Arduino to MAX involves many steps.

1. Select the correct sensor
  2. Connect it to the Arduino
  3. Read the sensor data on the Arduino
  4. Send the sensor data from the Arduino to the serial port
  5. In MAX, read the data from the serial port.

It appears that you are having trouble with more than one of these steps. If you can clarify which steps you are having trouble with, and what the trouble is with each step, that would be great.

Paul,
Again thanks for entertaining my issues (I mean it!). Yes I do have more than one step that I'm trying to work through.

The first is figuring out which sensors will read in MAX with a simple action, I thought a simple motion sensor would do most of what I'm trying, but have read it's signal is too low or erratic for MAX properly trigger a sound file.

I have downloaded and loaded Maxduino on the board in the Arduino environment and have a patcher for MAX that shows all the boards pins and sliders for adjustment but this is where I am (sad to say) looking for a video or screen shots as to how it is do. I've read a lot but it's not clicking :-[

thanks,

Brian

I thought a simple motion sensor would do most of what I'm trying, but have read it's signal is too low or erratic for MAX properly trigger a sound file.

A motion sensor outputs either HIGH (there was motion) or LOW (no motion). I don't know that can be considered too low or erratic for MAX to read.

This is what I have been leaning towards.

This is the one I have been looking at (Cutedigi)

http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?cPath=278_295&products_id=4290&osCsid=291d25a61740bb2181fa400a519cc5ff

Like I said, the output from that sensor is either HIGH or LOW on a digital pin. MAX should have no trouble reading that.

Thanks,
Will try it out.

B