Go Down

Topic: Updating to newer Arduino IDE (Read 5436 times) previous topic - next topic

BryAB

I have Arduino IDE 1.6.4 on my Windows 8 laptop computer and Arduino IDE 1.6.7 on my Windows 10 desktop computer. I would like to update both (or at least one) to the newer Arduino IDE 1.8.0.  I was told by others that I all that I need to do is to download the Arduino IDE 1.8.0 and that it will automatically take care of the older Arduino IDE that I presently have on my computer. Is this true? If not, could someone please direct me to some step-by-step instructions on how to update an older IDE to a newer one? I have some valued sketches on these older IDEs, should I make copies before I update? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

pert

If you use the "Windows Installer" download link and the previous installation also used the installer then installing the new version will first uninstall the last version. If you use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" then there is no installation process, you just unzip the file and put the unzipped folder anywhere you like and the previously installed version will still be there until you remove it.

I have some valued sketches on these older IDEs, should I make copies before I update?
If you use the installer the files in the Arduino IDE installation folder will be deleted. You should never store any of your own files in that folder. The files in your sketchbook folder and anywhere else will be left alone. Of course it's always a good idea to back up irreplaceable files.

ballscrewbob

Some other information attached if you are going to remove an IDE

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Juraj

First of all, Arduino is open source platform. Here are few steps for updating your arduino IDE:

1. Plug in your Arduino to the computer with a USB Cable.

2. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Device Manager.

3. You will see the connected Arduino board name. Right click on it and click on Update Drivers.

4. A new window will show up click on Browse.

5. Then Browse for the Arduino software in C: Program Files/Arduino/drivers.

6. Click next to finish.

If you want to know about how to install arduino IDE on windows then click here.
don't do that if you use the installer
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

globalideas

my upload is showing all of these , pls what should i do. i have downloaded new ide of 1.8.3 version to no avail. pls help!!!

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8), Board: "Arduino Uno"

In file included from C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:78:0,
                 from sketch_jul20a.ino:3:
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/require_cpp11.h:9:2: error: #error "This library needs at least a C++11 compliant compiler, maybe compiler argument for C++11 support is missing or if you use Arduino IDE upgrade to version >=1.6.6"
 #error "This library needs at least a C++11 compliant compiler, maybe compiler argument for C++11 support is missing or if you use Arduino IDE upgrade to version >=1.6.6"
  ^
In file included from sketch_jul20a.ino:3:0:
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:142:9: error: 'constexpr' does not name a type
  static constexpr byte FIFO_SIZE = 64;  // The FIFO is 64 bytes.
         ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:142:9: note: C++11 'constexpr' only available with -std=c++11 or -std=gnu++11
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:144:9: error: 'constexpr' does not name a type
  static constexpr uint8_t UNUSED_PIN = UINT8_MAX;
         ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:144:9: note: C++11 'constexpr' only available with -std=c++11 or -std=gnu++11
In file included from sketch_jul20a.ino:3:0:
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:371:111: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope
  StatusCode PCD_TransceiveData(byte *sendData, byte sendLen, byte *backData, byte *backLen, byte *validBits = nullptr, byte rxAlign = 0, bool checkCRC = false);
                                                                                                               ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:372:112: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope
  StatusCode PCD_CommunicateWithPICC(byte command, byte waitIRq, byte *sendData, byte sendLen, byte *backData = nullptr, byte *backLen = nullptr, byte *validBits = nullptr, byte rxAlign = 0, bool checkCRC = false);
                                                                                                                ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:372:137: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope
  StatusCode PCD_CommunicateWithPICC(byte command, byte waitIRq, byte *sendData, byte sendLen, byte *backData = nullptr, byte *backLen = nullptr, byte *validBits = nullptr, byte rxAlign = 0, bool checkCRC = false);
                                                                                                                                         ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:372:164: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope
                                                                                                                                                                    ^
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h: In constructor 'MFRC522::MFRC522()':
C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\rfid-master\src/MFRC522.h:337:22: error: 'UNUSED_PIN' was not declared in this scope
  MFRC522() : MFRC522(UNUSED_PIN, UNUSED_PIN) {};
                      ^
Multiple libraries were found for "Servo.h"

Used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Servo

Not used: C:\Users\Henry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESP32-Arduino-Servo-Library-master

Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

DrAzzy

Jul 21, 2018, 12:15 am Last Edit: Jul 21, 2018, 12:21 am by DrAzzy
You are using version 1.6.5 of the IDE.

As noted in the errors, that library is not compatible with version 1.6.5.

While you may have downloaded 1.8.3 - that's not enough, you need to actually install and use it (the compiler output clearly states that it's still 1.6.5). Uninstall version 1.6.5, and install the version 1.8.x that you downloaded (why not 1.8.5?)
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

sai7714

C:\Users\SAI\Documents\Arduino\libraries\generic_storage-master/FAT/FatFS/src/ff.c: In function 'f_write':

C:\Users\SAI\Documents\Arduino\libraries\generic_storage-master/FAT/FatFS/src/ff.c:2880:1: error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'POINTER_REGS'

}

^

C:\Users\SAI\Documents\Arduino\libraries\generic_storage-master/FAT/FatFS/src/ff.c:2880:1: error: this is the insn:

(insn 216 215 217 33 (set (reg:HI 26 r26)

(reg/f:HI 194)) C:\Users\SAI\Documents\Arduino\libraries\generic_storage-master/FAT/FatFS/src/ff.c:2837 83 {*movhi}

(nil))

C:\Users\SAI\Documents\Arduino\libraries\generic_storage-master/FAT/FatFS/src/ff.c:2880: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

lto-wrapper: C:\Users\SAI\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc returned 1 exit status

c:/users/sai/appdata/local/arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: error: lto-wrapper failed

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

sir please help me

pert

Code: [Select]
error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'POINTER_REGS'
This is a compiler bug. You can find more information and a workaround here:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3972

Go Up