Unwanted shut down of outputs.

• I did set it to Input: pinMode(switchPin, INPUT); // Set the switch pin as input

I missed that. Sorry.

• I did connect the switchButton, using the pull up resistor connection as below:

That looks fine. It uses two external resistors when none is really required, but it works.

• Is there anything i need to enable on software side ?

Not since you have external hardware.

I was suspecting a floating pin condition, but that does not appear to be your problem.

Perhaps seeing the serial output would be useful.

That looks fine. It uses two external resistors when none is really required, but it works.

Can you kindly explain that part, though these external resistors are not required.
I taken a look on the schematic for pin 0 and 1 and noted a 1k ohm connected.

I was suspecting a floating pin condition, but that does not appear to be your problem.

I read some few things while using an IO pin as input and using serial communication that creates some trouble . . ???

Furthermore, my Arduino was powered through my usb, i just transfered to an external power supply (9 Vdc) and get my code running as perfect, and forever . . .

Any explanation on that ?

Do you have resistors in series with your LEDs?

The code does debouncing with a delay of 10ms, but then uses the button state to set the LEDs directly, so they will only be on with the button is pressed (and upto 10ms afterwards due to the debounce delay).

You want the button being active to toggle the state, something like

if (val != buttonState)
  {
    buttonState = val ;
    if (!val)  // button was pressed
      ledState = !ledState ; // toggle
    digitalWrite(LED1, ledState);
    digitalWrite(LED2, ledState);
    digitalWrite(LED3, ledState);
    digitalWrite(LED4, ledState);
    digitalWrite(LED5, ledState);
  }

Using an array of pin numbers will make the code less voluminous!

The code looks correct, although I had to correct that horrible indentation before I could convince myself about that. Isn't this clearer?

void loop()
{
	val = digitalRead(switchPin);      // read input value and store it in val
	Serial.print("val=");
	Serial.println (val);
	delay(10);

val2 = digitalRead(switchPin);      // Read input again to check for bounces
	Serial.print("val2 =");
	Serial.println (val2);
	if (val == val2)
	{
		if (val != buttonState) 
		{
			// the button state has changed!
			if (val == LOW) 
			{                
				// check if the button is pressed
				if (lightMode == 0)
				{             
					// Check status of lightMode
					lightMode = 1;                     // Sets lightMode to high, LEDs ON
					digitalWrite(LED1,HIGH);
					digitalWrite(LED2,HIGH);
					digitalWrite(LED3,HIGH);
					digitalWrite(LED4,HIGH);
					digitalWrite(LED5,HIGH);
				}
				else
				{
					lightMode = 0;                    // Sets lightMode to Low, LEDs OFF
					digitalWrite(LED1,LOW);
					digitalWrite(LED2,LOW);
					digitalWrite(LED3,LOW);
					digitalWrite(LED4,LOW);
					digitalWrite(LED5,LOW);
				}
			}
		}

buttonState = val;  // save the new state in our variable
		Serial.print("buttonState =");
		Serial.println (buttonState);
	}
}

I suggest you remove the Serial.print statements at the top of loop, and put one inside the block of code where "the button state has changed!" so you can see whether you're getting spurious switch inputs. Maybe the switch wiring has the odd glitch. Also put a print statement in setup(), or make it go through an obvious LED flashing sequence, so that it's obvious if the board has reset.

Hi all,

It seems i figured out what is happeninng exactly, i changed my sketch and observed the problem.

In fact my UNO board is being reset at every interval of approx. 3 mins, sometimes less, when connected through USB.

Please take note that i am using the MAKERSHIELD board on top.

Any idea about what really happening here.

Thanks

taz ...

Does the reset only happen when the makershield is connected?

I read some few things while using an IO pin as input and using serial communication that creates some trouble . . ???

If you are talking about pin0 (rec comm) on the arduino, it is already pulled-up via the 1k resistor wired to the USB serial converter chip, so it will not see a 'floating' input condition.

Furthermore, my Arduino was powered through my usb, i just transfered to an external power supply (9 Vdc) and get my code running as perfect, and forever . . .

It could be (most likely) that your full setup of external hardware is just drawing too much +5 volt current. The USB 5 volt power coming from your PC is limited by the on-board thermofuse, rated at 500ma max. If however you are running using external power then the on-board 5 volt regulator is supplying the current and it has a little higher max current rating then when using USB power.
Lefty

liudr:

It is strange that you figured out the period of your problem (I wish my students were this good) and more but failed to answer such a simple question.

Hi,

retrolefty:
It could be (most likely) that your full setup of external hardware is just drawing too much +5 volt current. The USB 5 volt power coming from your PC is limited by the on-board thermofuse, rated at 500ma max. If however you are running using external power then the on-board 5 volt regulator is supplying the current and it has a little higher max current rating then when using USB power.
Lefty

[/quote]

Thanks for the information.

However, i removed my maker shield board and tested my UNO R3 board again.

I applied a simple sketch of blinking 1 led only, here again my Board resets itself repeatedly after an interval of 1 min or less.

However when connected to an external power, and removed the USB connection, my board does not reset

????

liudr:

liudr:

It is strange that you figured out the period of your problem (I wish my students were this good) and more but failed to answer such a simple question.

For now, i have only 1 LED connected, it comes from pin 13, set as output, goes through my LED from +ve pin to -ve via a 1K ohm resistor and eventually to the ground.

For my previous sketch, i was using 5 LEDS, each one connected seperately to their respective output pins, and each have their resistance through their LEDS.

Hope this answers the line, if my resistors were connected in series to my LEDs. . . Sorry for late reply. . :wink:

Can someone kindly please help me, is there anything i can do to restore this problem of reseting through using the USB port?

I will be late in preparing my Garduino .. =( , on top i need to submit that too.

Thanks

taz .. ..

taz3m:
However, i removed my maker shield board and tested my UNO R3 board again.

I applied a simple sketch of blinking 1 led only, here again my Board resets itself repeatedly after an interval of 1 min or less.

Just to clarify. You have a Uno board, no shield at all, connected to a single LED on pin 13, via a 1K resistor (to ground). Is that right? And running what sketch?

And it resets after 1 minute?

How do you know it resets?

Yes an UNO R3 BOARD.. i removed my shield for trouble shooting purpose..

so as is now, my UNO board is without any shield at all and 1 LED is connected to pin 13, through a 1k resistor to ground..

Moreorless, it resets every 1 min or smetime less.

Please Note that i encountered this prob wen i was doing some other sketch.. see my first post.

For simplicity in troubleshooting, i change my circuit to a single led and watch my connected Led whch is blinks within a delay of 1000 ms..
Wen it resets you can see visually the blinking of my on board led connected to pin 13 n my led connected externally blinks just the same a wen as u press reset button.

If i try my code from my first post, my outputs goes out automatically and i need to press my switch again(input), clearly knowing that areset has been performed..

Taz ..

You do know that opening and closing the serial monitor resets your arduino.

I still don't see how you know it is reaseting. Maybe you have a faulty USB cable.

If you don't mind answering my question, I would be much obliged.

taz3m:
If i try my code from my first post, my outputs goes out automatically and i need to press my switch again(input), clearly knowing that areset has been performed..

What switch? How do you know it reset?

I ask this question again.

I'm getting a bit tired of this thread. If you don't want to answer my questions I'll lock it.

No please do not lock it.

Im actually at work, and i used my mobile to reply, so i could not actually paste my codes and all.

Grumpy_Mike:
You do know that opening and closing the serial monitor resets your arduino.

I still don't see how you know it is reaseting. Maybe you have a faulty USB cable.

Yes i do know it resets the Arduino.

I did change the USB cable this morning, same thing happen.

For the 1 led blinking i used the following code, in the example itself:

/*
Blink
Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// give it a name:
int led = 13;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
// initialize the digital pin as an output.
pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
digitalWrite(led, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(led, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

How do i know it is reseting:

Ok! may be i am wrong, i presume so because, when my led blinks within an interval of 1000 ms and when you press the reset button manually and intentionally, you can notice that your led blinks 3 to 4 times rapidly, both the on-board and the externally connected led. I presume a reset has been achieved.

I confirmed it to be reset because, with my first sketch which i posted on my first post, i have a switch as input, with the same switch being pressed, i have 3 light modes.

Light mode 0= ALL OFF
Light mode 1 = All led blinks

when pressing reset manually and intentionally my outputs will go off and i need to press my switch again to activate my outputs as in the sketch:

/*

• Bike light, revision 3: blinky
    */

int switchPin = 2; // switch is connected to pin 2
int led1Pin = 12;
int led2Pin = 11;
int led3Pin = 10;
int led4Pin = 9;
int led5Pin = 8;

int val; // variable for reading the pin status
int val2; // variable for reading the delayed status
int buttonState; // variable to hold the button state

int lightMode = 0; // What mode is the light in?

void setup() {
pinMode(switchPin, INPUT); // Set the switch pin as input

pinMode(led1Pin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(led2Pin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(led3Pin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(led4Pin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(led5Pin, OUTPUT);

Serial.begin(9600); // Set up serial communication at 9600bps
buttonState = digitalRead(switchPin); // read the initial state
}

void loop(){
val = digitalRead(switchPin); // read input value and store it in val
delay(10); // 10 milliseconds is a good amount of time
val2 = digitalRead(switchPin); // read the input again to check for bounces
if (val == val2) { // make sure we got 2 consistant readings!
if (val != buttonState) { // the button state has changed!
if (val == LOW) { // check if the button is pressed
if (lightMode == 0) { // light is off
lightMode = 1; // turn light on!
} else {
lightMode = 0; // turn light off!
}
}
}
buttonState = val; // save the new state in our variable
}

// Now do whatever the lightMode indicates
if (lightMode == 1) {
digitalWrite(led1Pin, HIGH);
digitalWrite(led2Pin, HIGH);
digitalWrite(led3Pin, HIGH);
digitalWrite(led4Pin, HIGH);
digitalWrite(led5Pin, HIGH);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(led1Pin, LOW);
digitalWrite(led2Pin, LOW);
digitalWrite(led3Pin, LOW);
digitalWrite(led4Pin, LOW);
digitalWrite(led5Pin, LOW);
delay(100);
}
// If lightmode is 0, we dont have to do anything because the LEDs are already off!
}

Evening i will try to post my circuit as well.

Thanks

taz ...

While you are at it, modify that last post. Select the code and hit the # icon then save it.

Your sketch can not cause the arduino to reset.
Is it close to a interference source like a motor or switching thermostat?

Grumpy_Mike:

While you are at it, modify that last post. Select the code and hit the # icon then save it.

taz3m:

Grumpy_Mike:

Hi,

I think i figured out the trouble.

Actually when i connected the UNO board to my laptop, it does reset each time and even now.

I tried connecting the UNO on my desktop PC, here it is it does not reset at all.

i have tested it for maybe 1 hour now, and it seems to be fine.

So i think my source prob was my usb. . .

Any suggestion upon how i can solve this issue on my laptop . . . :astonished:

Still atleast i know my UNO is alright till now.

thanks to everyone who help and gave me the support up to here .. :wink:

taz .......