burning sketches writen in arduinoide through a parallel port without bootloader

my question is that can i upload sketches written in arduino ide, through a parallel programmer to an avr that DOES NOT have a bootloader?

Yep if you follow these instructions, you should end up with an ICSP header, with you can use to program the AVR.

and i dont need a bootloader right, and i can use existing sketches without any change?

Nope. The bootloader is actually a program that allows you to upload sketches over serial (RX/TX), but ICSP will work no matter what, bootloader or no bootloader.

baum

thanks, one more question pls, i just bought a usb to parallel but its a 36 pin port will it work??

:(... I'm not sure. I think the idea of the parallel programmer was that you could bit-bang the ICSP over it... not sure if usb 2 parallel can do that. if you have an arduino, look into ArduinoISP. This works very well.

Good Luck!

oh ok, :frowning: arduinoisp was my first try but sadly i failed, i couldnt get a suitable bootloader for my atmega8l.so then ill try parallel port from an old pc. just one question im not sure about, with this my old arduino sketches will work right?

but sadly i failed

How?

Plug in atmega8, upload arduinoisp to arduino, disable autoreset (120 ohm resistor between RESET and 5V), then write sketch for atmega8, then choose "ATmega8" from the bottom of the board menu.

baum

p.s. all old sketches for atmega 8 should work.

baum

so i shouldnt be wasting my time using the usb to parallel converter?

no the problem is that im using atmega8-8pu (8mhz max) so ill need a new bootloader, it did work but i cant upload more than one sketch ,it was a fuse problem

baum:

but sadly i failed

How?

Plug in atmega8, upload arduinoisp to arduino, disable autoreset (120 ohm resistor between RESET and 5V), then write sketch for atmega8, then choose "ATmega8" from the bottom of the board menu.

baum

Alrgiht. Try the ArduinoISP, but as for the parallel programmer, I have little experience with windows machines so I am afraid I can not be of much assistance.

baum