Connecting Arduino to PIC

is the pic expecting input where your hooking up to? its a software driven device like the arduino

yes i configured all PORTA to input, here is part of my code for the pic:

ALL_DIGITAL = True
PORTB_PULLUPS = On

TRISA  = %111111
TRISB  = %00000000
TRISC  = %00000000
TRISD  = %00000000
TRISE  = %111

----------Arduino Controls----------
arduino:

If PORTA.2 = 1  And PORTA.3 = 1 Then
GoTo Forward_Slow

ElseIf PORTA.2 = 0  And PORTA.3 = 1 Then
GoTo Left_Slow

ElseIf PORTA.2 = 1  And PORTA.3 = 0 Then
GoTo Right_Slow

Else
    If PORTE.0 = 1 And PORTE.1 = 0 Then
    GoTo Grab_Ball

ElseIf PORTE.0 = 0 And PORTE.1 = 1 Then
    GoTo Back_Slow

Else 
    GoTo Rotate_Right
    EndIf
EndIf

GoTo main

'----------Drive Controls----------
Forward_Slow:
High PORTD.0
Low  PORTD.1
High PORTD.2
Low  PORTD.3
Clear PORTD
GoTo main

Right_Slow:
High PORTD.1
High PORTD.2
Clear PORTD
GoTo main

Left_Slow:
High PORTD.0
High PORTD.3
Clear PORTD
GoTo main

Back_Slow:
Low  PORTD.0
High PORTD.1
Low  PORTD.2
High PORTD.3
Clear PORTD
GoTo main

Rotate_Right:
Low  PORTD.0
High PORTD.1
High PORTD.2
Low  PORTD.3
DelayMS 500
Clear PORTD
GoTo main

the led is lighting up, meaning the wiring is good right?.. and i believe the program is also good..
because when i switch the port meant for arduino and replace it with an infrared proximity sensor it does what it is supposed to do..
the proximity sensor also gives high and low signal, same as arduino but why when i plug arduino on the pic it does nothing..

Does the 16f887 have some kind of program in it ?

yes the pic16f877a is programmed to receive input
and the arduino is programmed to produce output..
both use digital signal..

I'm not famliar with using Basic on a PIC, but the '877A boots up with Port A pins
all set to analog, and need to be changed for use as digital pins. I don't know if
"ALL_DIGITAL = True" actual does this for Port A. In any case, you might try using one
of the Port B or C pins for the input.

Also, there is no indication in your code what the various configuration fuses are set to,
nor what the oscillator setting is. Maybe the compiler takes care of that automatically,
I don't know. Is this a Picaxe, or what?

A circuit diagram would help.
The 16F887 code seems to be some kind of combinatorial logic that needs combinations of input pins to do anything.
Are all the pins that are defined as inputs connected to something?

Test the arduino and pic individually to make sure that they behave as expected, then connect them together.

Otherwise, you don't where the problems are.

I'm not famliar with using Basic on a PIC, but the '877A boots up with Port A pins
all set to analog, and need to be changed for use as digital pins. I don't know if
"ALL_DIGITAL = True" actual does this for Port A. In any case, you might try using one
of the Port B or C pins for the input.

Also, there is no indication in your code what the various configuration fuses are set to,
nor what the oscillator setting is. Maybe the compiler takes care of that automatically,
I don't know. Is this a Picaxe, or what?

those are not my full codes, i just posted parts of the code.. im using proton basic..
im using xtal osc 4mhz, and using "ALL_DIGITAL = True" really changes the pins to digital..

these are my pin configurations:
arduino - pic - purpose
digital 13 - PORTA.3 - Send Signal To PORTD[Output Pin] To Turn Left Motor On/Off
digital 12 - PORTA.2 - Send Signal ToPORTD[Output Pin] Output Pin To TurnRight Motor On/Off

A circuit diagram would help.
The 16F887 code seems to be some kind of combinatorial logic that needs combinations of input pins to do anything.
Are all the pins that are defined as inputs connected to something?

yes all the pins are defined as input, its in the codes i posted
TRISA = %111111, 1 is for input 0 is for output..

im working on doing a circuit diagram,..
its been christmas vacation so ive been busy with family matters..

Test the arduino and pic individually to make sure that they behave as expected, then connect them together.

Otherwise, you don't where the problems are.

ive doing this right now, ive tested arduino and its working fine..
gonna test my pic16f877a next, but i believe the problem lies on the signal..
im thinking if i should use a switching transistor..

im currently using this wiring: but ill try using a 2n3904 transistor:

I have a couple of surgestions

Rather than diving head first and writing pages of code, just try a simple program with one switch in and one led out.

Get yourself an 18F452, all 18F's can be programmed with the C18 compiler which is going to be closer to arduino code and therefore make porting code between devices easier, I never liked Proton, it is easy to learn but somewhat limited in functionality and speed, The 16F877 is still a good chip but not supported by C18

Alternativly try a smaller chip like 16F84a with less hardware so less complication, it's easier to upscale later

Rather than diving head first and writing pages of code, just try a simple program with one switch in and one led out.

This is always the proper way to proceed with new programs. Get the basic, simple stuff
working first, and then build around that.

oric_dan(333):

This is always the proper way to proceed with new programs. Get the basic, simple stuff
working first, and then build around that.

just tried it an hour ago, and it doesnt work.. tried both active low and active high..
maybe i really need to have a transistor for it to work.. ill try to drop by local electronic store to get 2n3904..

Forget the circuits.
What does the PIC do when you connect the input to +5V or 0V?

(what do the PIC forums say?)

just tried it an hour ago, and it doesnt work.. tried both active low and active high..

You don't need a switch, just connect the pin to 0V or 5V. Since it's not working, as I
indicated a couple of days ago, "you might try using one of the Port B or C pins for the
input".

OK maybe a dumb question but I have to ask anyway. You do have a common ground wire connected between the arduino and the PIC, correct?

Lefty

What exactly is the PIC supposed to do.
You have set Port A and Port E to inputs.
Are you setting all the pins of Port A and Port E to some combination of logic levels.
The code seems to need a combination of logic to make something happen.
If you set pins to input, then you must connect either a 1 or a 0 to all the pins, or enable pullups ,otherwise they will float
and give erratic results.

Forget the circuits.
What does the PIC do when you connect the input to +5V or 0V?

(what do the PIC forums say?)

You don't need a switch, just connect the pin to 0V or 5V. Since it's not working, as I
indicated a couple of days ago, "you might try using one of the Port B or C pins for the
input".

when i connect the pin to 5v it does what is it supposed to do..
it sends the output to the motor from portd..

OK maybe a dumb question but I have to ask anyway. You do have a common ground wire connected between the arduino and the PIC, correct?

Lefty

i powered the arduino from the vdd pin(ground) and vss pin(+5v) of the pic..
and i connected the arduino gnd to the digital gnd..

am i doing it wrong?..

am i doing it wrong?..

vdd is normally +v, vss is normally 0v

abrookfield:

am i doing it wrong?..

sorry i got it backwards, anyway is the wiring supposed to be like this:

im having doubts on using the pic pin as gnd so using the supply gnd will do right?..

remove the link from "Input to pic" and "gnd"

siyete:

abrookfield:

am i doing it wrong?..

sorry i got it backwards, anyway is the wiring supposed to be like this:

im having doubts on using the pic pin as gnd so using the supply gnd will do right?..

Well that drawing shows correct common grounding between the arduino and the PIC, but it also shows a permanent ground wired to the PIC input pin, which is certainly incorrect.

Lefty