No of client connections - ethernet shield.

I am looking for following informations.

1. What is the limit in number of simultaneous client connection when using 28J60 or W5100

2. in W5100 max socket is 4, does this mean max 4 clients for TCP connections on port 80 ?

I want to make Automation device, number of simultaneous connections to embedded device required is 20.

Thanks
Sudhir

The w5100 can only support 4 TCS connections at once. The w5200 and w5500 increase this to 8.

I want to make Automation device, number of simultaneous connections to embedded device required is 20.

Why? You want to support 20 people AT A TIME diddling with the thermostat in your house?

The Arduino can only process one connection at a time. You should write code in such a way that the likelihood of more than 3 pending connections is minimized.

PaulS:
Why? You want to support 20 people AT A TIME diddling with the thermostat in your house?

Say I put one device online for demo , then !

The Arduino can only process one connection at a time. You should write code in such a way that the likelihood of more than 3 pending connections is minimized.

I understand limitation of micricontroller, but wanted to understand bottlenecks of ethernet.

Thank You

Are the clients going to connect and stay connected such as a telnet connection, or will it be a web based connection where the client connects, data is transferred, then the connection closed?

technofreek:

I understand limitation of micricontroller, but wanted to understand bottlenecks of ethernet.

Thank You

Hi

Have a look at my Arduino website at http://2wg.co.nz/ - you will find statistics on the website indicating the number of public visits to each web page and function, the number of crawler visits and the number of invalid html requests from hackers. Statistics are recorded for each day and month.

Typically over 10,000 external html requests every month. You better be quick - the end of month rollover occurs in three and a half hours.

It is correct - an Arduino is generally able to process one html request at a time - but three others can be queued up in the total of four ethernet sockets.

In general the website statistics do not record my family activity - except for the number of LAN connections everyday and the count of garage door operations.

My success is also a cause for failure. Because the application is single threaded sometimes I cannot open my garage door or access anything on the website because a member of the public, a web crawler or a hacker is accessing the website and their html request is "in-process".

I am currently developing functionality to detect incoming local area network html requests and to process them in preferance to external html requests AND to terminate current long running external html requests (file downloads).

Cheers

Catweazle NZ