Phone Fire Alarms Required

Telephones awaken people; smoke fire alarms should be required piggy-back devices IN PHONES that force a telephone ring when smoke enters room. Arduino driven. Everybody has a phone; not everybody gets a smoke alarm or keeps the batteries going. So we save lives...

And your question is?

(deleted)

I think it's a good idea, just don't know what the OP wants from us.

Any such device would have to have a GSM module I think, so it can phone your phone. I guess WiFi would work but the range is limited and not all phones have WiFi.

Graynomad:
so it can phone your phone.

You missed the part in all caps:

Shackleton44:
IN PHONES

They're suggesting integrating smoke detectors into phones.

Ah yes, that makes a difference :slight_smile:

Telephone wake people. It is very good thing to keep our sense of humor.

Telephones awaken people

Unless they're on mute

Just override it.
What if you have it in airplane mode? Or do a hardware mod?

Shackleton44:
smoke fire alarms should be required piggy-back devices IN PHONES that force a telephone ring when smoke enters room.

Are you saying the smoke alarm calls the phone? Or are you suggesting that the phone has a smoke detector built in?

If you're saying it should call, that would require an active SIM card with credit. Instead of it pipping persistently to tell you it was out of battery, it would persistently text you to tell you it was low on credit. Perhaps it could text you a battery percentage when it gets low too :wink:

I don't think many people would jump at the idea to upgrade their perfectly functioning smoke detector. If they don't have one already, what's to say they'd buy this one?

As for having a smoke detector built into all our phones, sure, it would be neat! But where do we stop? Why not throw in a carbon monoxide sensor, and perhaps a propane leak sensor too! Would it be a regulation? Would every phone need it by law? What would happen to all the phones in circulation right now, that don't meet this requirement? The alternative is to make it optional, which is the current situation. I don't see too many adopters!

Shackleton44:
Arduino driven.

At which point would an arduino be needed?

Shackleton44:
not everybody gets a smoke alarm or keeps the batteries going.

But there's another issue. The most important time for a smoke alarm to be on, is during the night, right? During the day, you're either not at home, or you're moving around enough to notice the fire before it's too late.

Most people leave their phone on a bedside table overnight. But, most smoke alarms are installed centrally, like in the hallway or up the stairs. By the time the smoke gets into your bedroom for your phone to detect, it's probably too late.