Your opinion on piracy?

wanderson:
Ultimately, the people who live under a government are responsible for the actions of that government without regard to the form of government (democracy, republic, dictatorship, etc...)

This is the key to why I am so passionate about this issue.

Nice to see that you are a political ideologist as well :slight_smile:

I think both "Try before buy" and "providing very cheaply" are the wrong way to go about things. I think they actually almost encourage piracy. This is definitively not what I am suggesting. Rather, I am suggesting business models that circumvent the issue all together (like your example with paying for expertise and labor, instead of the software.)

Obviously, this works against companies like Microsoft and Apple. The reason for this is, that these systems ("alternative business models") are empowering to the individual, small entrepreneur (like myself) and detrimental for large companies. Which could mean that in the future we will see markets controlled not by one or two quasi-monopolies, but by a plethora of smaller companies (which, in my opinion would be a very good thing). Large companies feel threatened by this, and that is why they are pushing for protection of the current copyright and property system. Maybe it will work, but this is something I am scared of, because I am afraid it will lead to a society ruled continuously more and more by company policies than by actual democratic systems. I would rather live in a world where copyright completely fails, as I believe it to be the freer, more interesting and more progressive scenario.

The reason this is so relevant is that we are merely at the beginning. Right now media is becoming a "free" in the sense of none scarce (by my definition, not by yours, wanderson [just to be clear]) good. As a result we have DRM on media.

We are however living in a time, where its completely feasible to assume that in 50 years I might download my mobile phone and then print it out. [this is a discussion of its own, but lets not have it in this thread - happy to explore it in a thread of its own]. Same goes for clothing, furniture, tools etc. The implication of this is that people will be doing stuff like sharing furniture designs, sharing the perfect screw somebody developed. Uploading a cool tablet. Copying a gps-locator, exchanging the design for waterproof fabric which can breathe etc. etc.

If this happens - will we have the equivilant of DRM on objects? Will we have devices which only work when the correct person is holding it? Will companies be able to say "you are buying this, but may use it only on weekdays?" Will we have data-plans for our furniture? Will I have a screwdriver which only works when it is connected to the internet? This is all pretty f*ing paranoid. I know. But its a question of how much foreign control you allow in your life. And in this case I am strongly against control, because I think it will profit a select few, while having the potential of infringing on the property rights of most. (yes, I know - you where told about it in the small print ... but that's just not a good enough excuse to be living in a world I don't want to live in.)

On the other hand, I see the opportunity of amazing innovation and improving quality of life (especially in third world countries) in a world where there is more diversity in regards to developers and where data can be freely shared.

See - I too am a political Ideologist :slight_smile:

So yeah, I guess I just think its time for a bit of a paradigm shift. In a way I think the industrial period started an age of companies, factories and corporations. I think the 3d printer might end this period of human civilization. (oh ... see how I am going for drama? ... Imagine scary but bombastic film music in the background. Like from requiem for a dream or something :smiley: ...)

Some where you talk about "accommodating pirates" or something like this. I did not mean to suggest that is the right thing to do. What I mean to suggest is that you need a business system where you take advantage of the fact that you - personally - have the best distribution system at hand that the human civilization ever had access to. (I mean think about it. How awesome is this?)

ok. I am in the mood for drama I think. I could probably go on and on. I will leave it at that.

Regards

p.