Spammers

They're exploiting a known YaBB vulnerability, the attacks will stop with captcha added into the registration process. The board isn't just being spammed, it's being flooded - captcha will plug the hole enough for it to stop.

Interestingly, my site was 100% custom code. I had what was effectively a multistep process to post anything, the data entry form generated a unique ID that had to be submitted back with the form and each ID was good only once. I thought that would stop automated spamming, but it only slowed it down very briefly. Even when I changed the format of the ID to try and break a parser it made no difference, so I really don't know what they were doing. When I completely deleted the php file that had the code to write my database, the spam stopped instantly. When I put it back a few weeks later, it restarted almost as instantly.

Unfortunately the spam has disappeared, next time it shows up (if it does) I'll take a look at what they're "desperately" trying to tell the world about. They're not impervious to detection, that's why most of them get caught... eventually :wink:

Wow, how'd you get it to disappear?

I have a moderated area where posts don't go live until I approve them, I've been ignoring it because I have better things to do than delete spam, but it's growing by about 300 spam aday right now. These posts never show up anywhere on the web, not even a hidden admin page, yet they keep flooding it.