Arduino Modular Synth

Hi,
I have been experimenting with using four software oscillators to create different sounds - so far I have built three very different synths using the same four oscillators -

1. The eXtremely Limited Techno Toy -

Its harsh, but weirdly addictive to play

1. A Gated Grain synth similar to the Auduino but with output gated by one of the LFO Oscillators -

This one sounds a little out of tune in places becuase I am allowing the pitch to change mid note, this produces a nice violin effect when the output is gated by a sinewave, in the video its gated with a square wave.

1. The final synth uses all four oscillators to play a single user controlled pitch but allows the user to increase or decrease the detune of the oscillators to produce anything from a slightly fatter sound to a full on chorus effect. Video shortly.

The basic idea was to see whether it would be interesting to create a simulated patch panel using jumper wires and a traditional key scanning technique to determine what is connected to what, this would then be used to interconnect the oscilators in software, so far it looks worth progressing.

More on the concept here -

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Looks fun - considered different input devices (joystick, light sensors or theramin-style capacitive?)

DuaneB:
The basic idea was to see whether it would be interesting to create a simulated patch panel using jumper wires and a traditional key scanning technique to determine what is connected to what, this would then be used to interconnect the oscilators in software, so far it looks worth progressing.

Interesting. Look forward to hearing more about this project.

The 'forest of wires' Moog-style patchpanel is just one option though. Have you considered the EMS-style x-y patchgrid, as used on the VCS3 and Synthi100?

Hi,
Some of those EMS Synths look great especially the suitcase versions. Looking for more information led me to this video -

What the future sounded like

Doctor who, tiaras and Hawkwind in the same documentary.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Hi,
The Arduino Modular Synth is coming along nicely. At the moment its a set of oscillator objects each of which outputs a set of waveforms, the waveforms can connected (setOutputTarget) to drive a parameter of another oscillator.

This little set up makes for something that sounds like a simple sequencer -

Audio1.setWaveform(squareWave);
LFO1.setOutputTarget(WAVEFORM_SINE,&Audio1,PARAMETER_AM);
LFO2.setOutputTarget(WAVEFORM_RAMP,&Audio1,PARAMETER_FM);

LFO1 modulates the Audio amplitude to produce separate notes
LFO2 gradually increases the audio pitch of the output using a ramp waveform which starts from 0 again once it reachs its peak

by having the two LFOs slightly out of step you get something that sounds like an early acid house track.

Duane B

Hi,
Feeling pleased with myself - just finished hooking up a five dollar kids keyboard to Arduino - 3 octaves plus another 36 general purpose buttons to play with for the price of two cups of coffee.

Looking forward to hooking up an amp, simulated patch panel and the modular synth code.

Might do a quick post showing how I wired the keyboard and outline the key scanning code if anyone is interested in doing something similar, its simple enough and much easier than building something from scratch.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Another really good documentary is about the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

DuaneB:
Feeling pleased with myself

As well you should be. I'm enjoying reading this stuff. Tinkering with Auduino type stuff is on my list of projects.

Its actually a 2 dollar 68 cent keyboard -

Its sounding much better than I hoped with the Arduino implementing the synth engine.

Duane B.

How do they sell stuff like that for so little?, the parts must cost more than that!

I could not believe the price myself, I paid 25 Dirhams in a super market which is about 6.80 dollars, but thats after shipping, storage, shelf stacking, etc etc etc.

How you can dig something out of the ground for 2.68 USD never mind turn it into something is beyond me.

On the upside why would you build a keyboard interface when there are ready made ones with an additional 30 something utility buttons for about 5 dollars.

I will post it in barsport as thats the direction this might go.

Here - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,128811.0.html

Duane B