Mega 2560 Solder Bridge

I received my Mega today, and was alarmed to see the 5V and 3.3V pins joined with a solder bridge.

Is this common?

I suspect that is a bad thing that is very bad
what does supplier say?

a) demand new 1 with menaces
b) 2 seconds with wick or solder pump shoud fix it

worrying though

I'll have no problem removing the bridge, but I will always question whether there are other, less visible, errors with the board. SparkFun said "hope you know how to email or solder :stuck_out_tongue: " in IRC.

My main reason for posting here is to let people know about the problem. If it happens to one board, it's undoubtedly happened to others. Losing a $65 piece of hardware because you were so excited to load its first program that you neglected to check for errors is an awfully saddening thing.

Definitly a bad thing. I am really surprised! If it was mine, it was already broken. I am not used to chek everything ..

mikecyber:
I'll have no problem removing the bridge, but I will always question whether there are other, less visible, errors with the board. SparkFun said "hope you know how to email or solder :stuck_out_tongue: " in IRC.

My main reason for posting here is to let people know about the problem. If it happens to one board, it's undoubtedly happened to others. Losing a $65 piece of hardware because you were so excited to load its first program that you neglected to check for errors is an awfully saddening thing.

Unfortunately this has seemingly been pretty common with the new arduino boards.
Have a search around and you will no doubt see what I mean.

The Arduino team have stated that boards can be returned and a new one will be issued free of charge but that's probably not worth it in your case.

Mowcius

My Uno (the old version) has a small flaw in the board, at one of the corners there's a little extra piece of unfinished board (like where a breakoff point would be, but it wasn't sanded down) doesn't affect operation but is a bit rough, haven't fixed it cause I don't have any sandpaper on hand

Wow, and on a genuine Arduino board too. Will the Asian cloners copy that. :slight_smile:

Hello mikecyber

That's very strange, it shouldn't have been shipped. Can you PM me the serial number and the place where you bought it?
A picture of the board is optional but very appreciated

You will be sent a new board at no cost for you. This applies to any arduino board. if your supplier tells you to fix something yourself or they don't want to replace the board they are not fulfilling their obligations and you should report them to us.

to the rest of the posters

This NOT COMMON with arduino boards, stop saying it

Having said this... ANY company that manufactures electronics has had every once in a while some issues. At least we take responsibility for the mistakes and fix things ( we don't say "you're not holding it right"...)

m