How can I browse the web using Arduino dumilanove?

Hi friends I have been owning aa Arduino duemilanove for quite a long time now and am quite well versed with it. Now using the controller, I wish to make a device which could be usedby me to surf the internet. I want to be able to surf the web, the interfece will be probably touch screen or maybe with a keypad. But currently I want to know how can the arduino be connected to the internet. I will be using a ethernet cable to connect it. I want to know that how will it connect, send the url, download the web pages etc. Also reccomend me some other controller if you think that arduino will not be able to do the same. Books or links to website tutorials/info will be really appretiated. It will further be a help if the material is targeted to arduino.
Looking forward to your replies. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The ethernet shield (and others) will let you make http requests and download content... but... a) you're going to struggle to hold more than a single graphic in memory (even just the html pages themselves would be a struggle) and b) you've almost no chance of being able to view anything in a decent resolution etc. etc.

Maybe some of the higher end PIC boards could do it...

Any reason why you want to do this on a dev board? As opposed to, oh I don't know, mobile/netbook/pc/mac/wii/certain-tv-boxes/ipad etc. etc.

Thanks for your quick reply,
I don't really want to do it on a dev. board. Any other thing will also do. I need your help in understanding the concept and it would be of great help if you could suggest the controller to me. :wink:

There is a whole to more to creating a browser than just sending requests and streaming data back. Those two steps the Arduino with ethernet shield can handle.

The data that comes back will be html, containing embedded links, that needs to be parsed and used to draw data in a browser.

There is not enough memory in the Arduino to even hold an entire page in memory, let alone parse it and render it.

Books or links to website tutorials/info will be really appretiated. It will further be a help if the material is targeted to arduino.

Don't know what good it will do to search for material to learn how to write a browser on a machine that doesn't have enough memory or processing speed to handle the task.

I don't really want to do it on a dev. board. Any other thing will also do.

If you want to browse the web, get a PC, laptop, netbook or if you really insist a mobile phone which run one for the following operating systems: Windows of any kind, Linux, MacOS, Android, Symbian, iOs.

If your platform doesn't, it's probably a bad idea to try.

Korman

OK guys!
BUt could you tell me that how can I recieve a webpage in my computer atleast through the ethernet shield. Could you help me connect the ethernet cable to the ethernet shield, this could be programmed to download the web page " www.arduino.cc" and display it to me or store it on my computer's hard disk. It could do it for any other website also. It would be great if you could provide me an explanation for this or a tutorial. :slight_smile:

Mayank,

from what you wrote I get the impression that you have decided on a solution to some problem without having any clue about it. And now you want others to waste their time to live up to your expectations.

So please, before going on that path, convince us you want to try some reasonable and possible. Best would be to describe what you want to do and why you think that the Arduino is the best tool to achieve that. And I don't mean, I want some detail steps like "I want to read a web page on the Arduino", that's already part the solution and not the problem.

Until you did that, any further discussion of the matter is just a waste of time.

Korman

BUt could you tell me that how can I recieve a webpage in my computer atleast through the ethernet shield.

Just use the ethernet shield to download the html from the website (as long as its not to long) then send it to your computer with serial. That shouldn't be to hard. But if you have WiFi Irecommend trying out the WiShield http://www.asynclabs.com. I have one and i'm really satisfied. :slight_smile:

JVPython

Go to www.arduino.cc and then click view > source to see the raw html. This is what will be downloaded and sent to your computer. Is this what you are expecting?

And the images ???

And the images ???

Mayank, did you bother to read the answers to your first question? Obviously not, otherwise you wouldn't ask such a question. And if you read the answers but didn't understand them, I would advise you to leave your fingers from electronics and computers and play with bricks instead.

Korman

And the images ???

You will need to parce out the picture links from the raw html you downloaded, and then download the pictures individually. To see what you will be downloading, right click on a picture like picture.jpg, and open it with notepad. That is what you will be downloading.