Arduino Due and Arduino GSM - Any Experiences?

Hi to all,

i would like to get new Arduino GSM running on Arduino Due?
According to documentation, Arduino GSM supposed to work for Uno.

Anybody having experiences with combining Arduino Due and Arduino GSM?

I would like to know before i purchase Due :slight_smile:

Thy for any hints, tutorials etc.

Thanks
Michael

Arduino GSM Shield is not supported by the Due.

Adding support for the Due is planned but not as a high priority (it could take many weeks).

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply. Pls let us know, when there is a scheduled date for due support.

Cheers
Michael

Are there any updates regarding GSM shield support for DUE. Many weeks have been passed now :roll_eyes:

Hello,
is there an existing "code seed" for port or replacement of library GSM, from avr to sam,
which we can start with to help ?

Just wondering if there's any update on GSM Sheild support for the Due?

Any new about this? I bought an Arduino Due and a GSM shield together through the arduino.cc shop, now I figure that the GSM shield is not supported :roll_eyes: Can I return it or is there a chance its will be supported soon?

The R3 revisión of the Ethernet Shield gained the ability to use the IORef pin, so that it could dynamically opérate at 3.3v...so that revisión became DUE compatible (Electrically)...

Will the Arduino GSM recieve a similar revision?

I too am interested in this (funny how I encountered this problem exactly 1 year after the OP).

What I don't get is why exactly is this so hard to port to the Due? From what I gather, it's just a software serial connection and a reset pin. Assuming all the GSM library does is send a series of commands to configure and operate the shield, couldn't we just use establish the RX1/TX1 serial connection and send commands manually? How complicated could it really be to tell it to send a text message, pick up an incoming phone call, or get the PIN? I don't have any documentation on it so I don't really know where to begin. Skimming through the source code to the GSM library, I can understand why nobody has bothered to support the Due - it's pretty big. On the other hand, if this really is as simple as just sending serial messages with some sort of header, that library seems very over-complicated.

EDIT:
While this is a different board, wouldn't something like this be possible:

The heart of the GSM shield-the M10 module-can work at 3.4V thus, more than a matter of voltage tolerance, the bottleneck of porting the GSM library from AVR to SAM is the fact that it was built as a 'state machine' which is a peculiar case given that most of the microcontroller libraries are built with the traditional scheme of a main class as parent of different small classes. This means a great time spend (months not weeks).

Hello everyone, first I will introduce myself: I'm Jorge Garcia from Spain and I'm working in Arduino to try to develop some different solutions to different applications.

I'm working on Due and rigth now I want to add GPRS connectivity to send real time data. So I have doubts how to connect both systems:

HARDWARE: I have read the GSM Shield is not compatible with Due (and it was confirmmed by the Arduino support) but in this forum it was said both can works at 3.3V. Is that correct? If not, can I use the TTL converter SN74LVC254 to connect the GSM shield to the Due?

In the other hand, I can use the Arduino Ethernet Rev3 with pinout 1.0. It should be compatible with the GSM shield working both in 5V TTL signals. But in that case I should have four serial ports in the main Arduino Ethernet: programmer, GSM shield, GPS and external ADC. Using the SowtwareSerial I should add these ports but, Which pin can I use as serial ports?

SOFTWARE: When the hardware issue was solved (using Due or Ethernet), can I use the GSM library or I must to send the AT commands directly? What limitations I will found in both cases?