Go Down

Topic: Ethernet Taking A Very Long Time To Connect (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic

RayLivingston

I'm having a problem with Ethernet - it works fine, once it's connected to the PC.  But it can take as much as several minutes to finally connect to the PC after downloading new code, or power-cycling the board.  It will sit there with the yellow LINK, 100M and FULLD LEDs blinking on for about 1 second out of every 3, and the other LEDs remaining dark.  Every once in a while, the TX LED will also blink a few times very briefly.  It seems to always connect eventually.  Sometimes, it's after just a few seconds, sometimes after several minutes.  Once it finally connects, everything works perfectly.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any idea what's going on?  Is it something in the Arduino, or something in the PC?  The fact that I'm seeing Tx activity, but no Rx activity when it's in this state makes me think the problem is on the PC side.  But what?

Regards,
Ray L.

RayLivingston

The problem appears to be the time it takes the Ethernet adaptor on the PC to sort out the "sex" of the connected device.  I had been using a straight-through Ethernet cable, with the Due plugged directly into the PC with no switch or hub.  It works fine, once the two finally connect.  Today I got a crossover cable, and the Due now connects to the PC within a few seconds every time.

Regards,
Ray L.

Go Up