1.8" TFT Color LCD Connection for Esplora

Hey Guys,

I have a 1.8" TFT LCD screen, the pin statement is attached. I'm wondering how it can be connected with Arduino Esplora? Need a HEX converter like 74HC4050D to bridge the pins?

No, I'd say you could may your pins to those of the Esplora. Get MISO, MOSI, SCK pins mapped, power, ground, there is a chip select that you map. The LED pins on your display you can pull high or low as you need.

TheKitty

Esplora pins discussed The 21st Century Digital Home: Esplora Expansion Header Pinouts

Thank you!!

No problem - see this post on the header and the Adafruit 1.8" LCD which would be a close contender.

TheKitty:
No, I'd say you could may your pins to those of the Esplora. Get MISO, MOSI, SCK pins mapped, power, ground, there is a chip select that you map. The LED pins on your display you can pull high or low as you need.

TheKitty

Esplora pins discussed The 21st Century Digital Home: Esplora Expansion Header Pinouts

I saw a HC4050M on Adafruit TFT LCD board, is that required?

The thing is, there are no released libraries for writing to the Esplora display (yet). So a third-party solution would have to have a fairly well documented library available for testing. If your display has such then it may work. I made the connection with the Adafruit display as the pinout is nearly identical and Adafruit publishes a fairly good library that could be changed if necessary.

EDIT May 17, 2013 - see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/GTFT on libraries etc. for the now announced official display

It's easy to use that 1.8" TFT with the right pin numbers and the Adafruit libraries for the display. I just got it going yesterday. Look at my post on Google+

https://plus.google.com/u/0/116599331662269985445/posts/XUoZT3dCG27

And the comments.

Here's the key. Look in the first lines of the graphicstest sketch from Adafruit. You should change them to look like this:

// You can use any (4 or) 5 pins
#define sclk 15
#define mosi 16
#define cs 7
#define dc 0
#define rst 1 // you can also connect this to the Arduino reset

You'll also have to rotate the display to landscape. Comments on my post show how, or you can read the tutorial pdf from Adafruit.

Good luck.