Understanding ACS7xx Current Sensor

Constantin:
All I will point out is the size of the eval pcb heat sink vs what the commercial resellers typically design and sell. The datasheet mentions a typical internal resistance of 1.2 mOhm for the acs712 and a 5x over current survival.

The datasheet also mentions a atypical 2oz copper thickness for the pcb used on the eval board. The FAQ also shows die temperatures assuming optimal conditions (ie eval board) reaching 165 C at 20amps in hot ambient conditions. I expected my device to potentially get hot inside as it did not feature active convection and the enclosure is small.

So, by all means go and use this sensor but between the relatively high error and the heat issues, if was not suitable for me. For those measuring short impulse loads in particular, this chip family features very attractive attributes like small size and relatively low cost. I went for the LTSR series from LEM instead. It's leads are significantly beefier, you get a reference voltage for differential measurements, etc.

hi, was a little worried when you quoted the internal resistance ive looked at the data sheet many times and never came across this figure, ive been using the acs 712 30amp chip for some time and never noticed a heat issue, im using their suggested circuit.

those internal resistance in the chart marked "Typical Leadframe Resistance at Various Ambient Temperatures"

Are defiantly wrong ive just gone through all my 20amp and 30amp chips and measured this resistance
results as follows, these were measured on the pins nothing attached to them on ip+ (pins 1 and 2) and ip- (pins 3 and 4).

acs 712 20a total 6 ics, all 0.3 ohms
acs 712 30a total 13 ics all 0.3 ohms

maby the figure they quote in their chart has a typo (m?) sould be just (?)

they do mention that the data was made using theAllegro ASEK712 demo board maby this resistance comes from extra circuitry there maby? but looking at it cant see any components that would suggest this

be really great if someone else could also confirm this resistance as well