Whistle detection

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a robotic project, and I'd like my robot to detect when I whistle. But I'm not that good in electronics... :frowning: Do you know how I can do that? I thought of amplifying the sound with an amplificator and then look for the frequency using the arduino. But is ths possible?
Maybe I should use a frequency-voltage converter? But I want the electronic to be as simple as possible...
Thanks a lot for your help! :slight_smile:

(Remember I'm a noob :D)

A simple way to do it is with a small microphone and amplifier circuit, like the one on our Gadget Shield or a stand-alone module like this one.

The question is are you just looking for a sound/no-sound decision or are you actually trying to measure the frequency of the whistle and only want to respond to a certain whistle frequency? Selecting a single frequency is a little bit more work, though there have been some Arduino FFT projects recently that can help with this (searching for "Arduino FFT" will give lots of results).

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

FYI I tried to hack a small 'lost car-key finder' device that would beep when you whistle, but the thing broke before I could get it to talk to the Arduino.

There is a chip that will do the whistle detection for you.
The UM3763 contains a signal amplifier and frequency detector and is housed in a small 8 pin package.

Other chips are here:-

Do you think a LM567 can work?

Regular piezo buzzer is a whistle detector due it extra nonlinear frequency response.
Probably, operational amplifier thats all you need to get sensitivity level .

Do you think a LM567 can work?

Yes that would work.