Arduino Zero Released

Hello Arduino Community,

The new Arduino Zero is now available for purchase, please read more info on our blog very soon.

Arduino Zero support is available through Boards Manager in the IDE thanks to the 1.6.5 release.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

WOOHOO! It's out!
Wait-what is the marking on the "unused" pin? The one next to IOREF?

Having issues trying to build any sketch. It appears the include/bits/ folder is empty?

I have retried downloading and reinstalling SAMD on two different Windows computers.

Build options changed, rebuilding all

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -MMD -DF_CPU=48000000L -DARDUINO=10605 -DARDUINO_SAMD_ZERO -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAMD -D__SAMD21G18A__ -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x804d -DUSBCON -DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Arduino LLC" -DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Zero" -IC:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\tools\CMSIS\4.0.0-atmel/CMSIS/Include/ -IC:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\tools\CMSIS\4.0.0-atmel/Device/ATMEL/ -IC:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\cores\arduino -IC:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\variants\arduino_zero C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\build2661555047090399063.tmp\sketch_jun17a.cpp -o C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\build2661555047090399063.tmp\sketch_jun17a.cpp.o 
In file included from C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\cores\arduino/Uart.h:25:0,
                 from C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\variants\arduino_zero/variant.h:40,
                 from C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\cores\arduino/delay.h:27,
                 from C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.6.0\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:75,
                 from sketch_jun17a.ino:1:
c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\my stuff\arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.3\cstddef:41:28: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory
 #include <bits/c++config.h>
                            ^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.

This folder is empty:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Stuff\Arduino\arduino-1.6.5-r2\portable\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\arm-none-eabi\include\bits

Isaac96:
WOOHOO! It's out!
Wait-what is the marking on the "unused" pin? The one next to IOREF?

I guess you already seen the answer here.

@hiduino

the file should be here:

.../tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/arm-none-eabi/include/c++/4.8.3/arm-none-eabi/bits

could you please redo the build with the "verbose compile" option activated from the preferences and copy the full output in a new topic?

I have to say, I feel a little sorry for the Arduino developers.

Compare this to the Raspberry Pi Zero for $5 and you can't compete.

I wonder what this means for the future?

The Arduino Zero (and clones) probably competes very well for energy consumption. That's why I chose it, good flash and ram sizes and a chip with sophisticated clock and power management. I'm working on a project where I've gotten it down to 0.6mA in sleep mode with RTC, a timer, and EIC (pin interrupts).

How do I select the Zero in Atmel Studio 7? I can import an Arduino Sketch that runs on a Zero, but I don't see any way to select it from the list of processors.

Brian

You don't specifically select Zero. You should install the board (Arduino SAMD Boards (32-bit ARM Cortex-M0+)) in the Arduino IDE using the board manager first.

Atmel Studio 7 should prompt you (at the time of creating a project) for the hardware. You should select ATSAMD21G18A.

Later when you attempt to run/debug your project it will prompt you for the debugger/programmer tool to use. There is a dropdown and one item in there - EDGB-00000000AZE000001519 and the Interface dropdown should have the option to pick SWD (single wire debug).

You could also set up the later by right clicking on the Project node in Solution Explorer and when, in the editor windows that opens, you'll see tabs running along the left have side (not top) of that window. Choose the "Tools" tab and you'll see options to select the debugger/programmer and the Interface.