Self-teaching Math, other Sciences

I studied Philosophy and History in college but took a bunch of Math courses too. Now that I'm older I'm more interested in the Sciences, which is part of why I got into Arduinos. It's helping me to study Electricity and Magnetism by being able to play with an Arduino.

I figure since this is a group of tinkerers I might ask, is anyone else into self-teaching the more abstract stuff like E&M and high-level Math?

One philosophy of education states that all learning is a result of self teaching. Although I work in the education field, I think of myself as a learning facilitator, rather than a teacher.

Get yourself a battery, a long wire and a compass, fiddle with it, and you'll learn some electricity and magnetism. What do you mean by "high level" math? Algebra, calculus, hamiltonian expressions, or tensor fields?

ChrisTenone:
What do you mean by "high level" math? Algebra, calculus, hamiltonian expressions, or tensor fields?

To some, binary is 'high level' maths.

Henry_Best:
To some, binary is 'high level' maths.

Thank goodness. That's about all I can manage. :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
Thank goodness. That's about all I can manage. :slight_smile:

At least you don't run out of fingers (and toes?) as quickly you do as with decimal.

Henry_Best:
At least you don't run out of fingers (and toes?) as quickly you do as with decimal.

Isn't finger counting unary?

AWOL:
Isn't finger counting unary?

No. It's digital.

...R

Robin2:
No. It's digital.

...R

Right. The finger is either flipped, or it isn't.